Author Topic: Has anybody tried to grow...Torch Ginger  (Read 2711 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Has anybody tried to grow...Torch Ginger
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:30:16 »
Always sniffing around for herbs etc that I can use in cooking for health benefits....this Torch ginger although Asian in
origin has just those things that help "anybody" but it helps diabetics with Hypertension...or so ive read.

Cant seem to source seeds though  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.expatliving.sg/wine_dine/recipes/Torch-Ginger-Cooking-with-Asian-ingredients-at-home-4187.eceftp://

Gazza

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Has anybody tried to grow...Torch Ginger
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 13:49:02 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-SEEDS-TORCH-GINGER-RED-ETLINGERA-ELATOR-STUNNING-FRESH-AND-VIABLE-/170884519155

I think these plants have loads of seeds so if you are successful in growing them you will have them for ever.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 13:50:50 by ACE »

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 14:03:23 »
Top man Ace,cheers fella.

sounds like you've experienced them already then..?

Im not sure if the climate in Dorset will see them grow anyway.

Gazza

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 15:32:58 »
The flowers look stunning.  Do you need a conservatory? 

Seems to come in pink as well.

Looks like you need a special bird to pollinate.

http://www.edenproject.com/visit-us/whats-here/plant-a-z/torch-ginger

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 17:37:11 »
so they do.......I wonder if I can arrange for our sparrows to do the same job as the spiderhunter bird...where ever that comes from.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:44 »
Have never tried these plants, but when we needed an exotic for a show we read up all about them and set up a growing space with the right micro climate. If it says a certain temperature you really have to keep to it,  no dipping at night or massive fluctuations. The right humidity and light levels are also essential, just putting them on  the bathroom window sill is inviting disaster. I have made sprays from those automatic deodorising room spray gadgets. soldering a valve in the can and filling with water which will mist every five minutes if needed, a good heatmat that will warm the roots and growlight tubes from an aquarium. 

This all sets you back a few quid and for me I could recoup from the customer. Pollination can be achieved with various devices, once we had a 'toy' from a sex shop with feathers stuck all over it that swung like a pendulum at a certain time in  the night. It might be better for you to find an altenative herb than trying to explain to your neighbours what you are doing with a fluffy dildo in the middle of the night in the potting shed.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:04:07 »
Sorry to butt in but can you suggest anywhere I could buy turmeric root from please? It's for juicing, not growing.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:14 »
Sorry to butt in but can you suggest anywhere I could buy turmeric root from please? It's for juicing, not growing.

Not a thing that is sold around these spots. You must have a lot more multicultural types of market stalls and shops in your area. We are still trying to get our heads around garlic bread down here.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:37:14 »
Yes I'm not sure what the new neighbours would make of a fluffy dildo in my garden shed swinging too and fro at midnight,might be a novel way to make new friends.... :blob7:

Anyway,cheers for the heads up on the growing conditions.

Gazza

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:40:35 »
I am going to little Asian in Swindon this afternoon full of foods from all over the world, I will see if it is readily available there.  Ground turmeric is easier to come by.  1/2 kg only costs a few pounds. 

I have to say I nearly wet myself about the fluffy pollination dildo.  Sounds as if you are cheering up ACE.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 15:12:39 »
Another good tool in your armoury for growing strange unusual plants is a vivarium, they can be sterilised easily and you can set the heating lighting and humidity up perfectly for jungle, desert even rain forest conditions They are often up for sale cheap in local adds even freecycle websites.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal