Author Topic: "Pumpkin" who does what.  (Read 5659 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
"Pumpkin" who does what.
« on: October 27, 2014, 07:53:02 »
C,mon then you lot,fill ya boots with some advice on what to do with its flesh.

Ive only made soup before and will be again so just wondered what the folk in here like to make with the flesh..????

Nothing too sugery mind..!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: "Pumpkin" who does what.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:25:41 »
OH adds to squash, seasoning , crushed amaretti biscuit, stuffs ravioli and serves with a sage (whole leaf )and lemon sauce. It makes a lovely winter dinner party posh dish.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:40:18 »
Whats up with the clocks today??  One posting and one reply before the actual time of day. I'll come back to the pumpkin later.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:34:31 »
Gazza, do you mean actual pumpkin, ie the orange halloween type jobbie?

Well these are almost certainly cucurbita pepo, ie in the same family as courgettes and marrows and acorn squash.  None store for very long, so need to be used up around Christmas time, probably still ok in January.

Apparently you can make gnocchi (sp?) with them, remember seeing a recipe online.  Definitely pumpkin pie of all sorts - there must be a savoury version with cheese or you might invent one.  With a thin ground nut and egg pastry (mix both with a bit of salt and pat into tin, bake blind) as the base, a savoury pumpkin pie should be D friendly.     

Just shove pieces in the oven and cover with the juices of whatever roast you are doing.  They may not be the most delectable of squashes, but still make a decent roast vegetable, flavoured or spiced up to taste.  If you prefer, peel, spice/season, then wrap in foil for individual parcels.

Whilst not the best flavoured of the squashes, they still cook up decently fried in olive oil, with garlic and onion and whatever takes your fancy.  At the moment the tomatoes are no longer quite so nice due to lack of sun and late season.  Any that you would not want to eat in a salad any more, could be chopped and added to that pan, perhaps finish the dish with a dash of paprika or a few bits of chili.  Basically treat halloween type pumpkins as a base veg, rather than a flavourful veg and there are lots of possibilities. 

Don't forget the seeds.  Roast in the oven for 20 minutes on a baking sheet.  Serve lightly salted or stirred in a bowl with a teaspoon of Worcestersauce or Soy sauce (a little goes a long way with soy sauce).

Yummy, crunchy and high fibre snack. 

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:51:49 »
Pumpkin Curry

1 onion
500gms pumpkin
400 gms tinned sweetcorn( fresh if you grow it)
2 tblsp curry powder
can chopped tomatoes
fresh coriander
natural yoghurt

1. Slice onion, cut pumpkin into bite size pieces
2. Fry onion in little oil, add pumpkin, curry powder, and ton of tomatoes. Cook for 5 mins
3. Stir in 50 ml water and bring to boil. Simmer for 10 mins until pumkin tender. Stir in sweetcorn.
4. Check seasoning
5 scatter  with chopped coriander and a swirl of natural yoghurt

I also make Pumpkin and Cumin Soup but you obviously have made soup with it before

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 15:09:11 »
Pumpkin soup, chunks of pumpkin baked with olive oil and garlic and herbs or spices, halved pumpkin filled with cream and herbs or spices and baked, pumpkin curry, pumpkin tagine, pumpkin and bacon sauce to go with pasta, pumpkin risotto.   Can't stand pumpkin pie but one day I will make pumpkin ravioli.

Lots of ideas here - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=pumpkin
Obxx - Vendée France

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 17:34:18 »
Yes it was the orange Jobbie I meant Galina.....Ok thanks all plenty of ideas there.

Not normally my thing but have got this bluddy great thing to carve so thought id use the flesh.

Gazza

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 21:03:17 »
I've never found the common pumpkin to have much flavour so I don't grow them for eating. I prefer a squash like Crown Prince which is really huge and looks and tastes so good. I love squash and bacon risotto.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 21:09:59 »
Me too.  I like the little Uchi Kuri pumpkins and Butternut and things like Bue Hubbard and crown prince.   This year I've got a few Sweet Dumplings and will be cooking the first one tomorrow.
Obxx - Vendée France

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 13:57:13 »
I find the longer you store them, the tastier they get. In Oz we often eat pumpkin just cooked and mashed as a veg... mash it with butter, salt and pepper and a little cumin if you like that.
I posted my pumpkin scone recipe a while back: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=63524.0   You can reduce the sugar in it, as the pumpkin keeps them sweet.
You said not too sweet, but I admit that I often use pumpkin in cakes... A boiled pumpkin fruit cake is a real crowd pleaser.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 14:21:58 »
You can use pumpkin in chutney (or in piccalilli), just don't cook it long or it cook too soft and disappear..ad it in last minute to just heat it through leaving more bite feel to the pumpkin, eat it raw..veg stick nibbles , make fresh coleslaw and use it as addition to it or replacement for carrot.
I bet you could make some kind of nice hummus type of puree with it...for sarnies etc....I challenge you!  :tongue3:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 14:28:12 »
I fancy the boiled pumpkin fruit cake. Can you post the recipe please, Antipodes?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 20:49:49 »
Well, I've got recipes for pumpkin puree with goats cheese  http://johnnorman.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/pumpkin-puree-with-goats-cheese/ and pumpkin marmalade http://johnnorman.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/pumpkin-marmalade/.

Both work very well.  We also like pumpkin risotto, liberally sprinkled with parmesan.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 10:20:42 »
 Australian Boiled Pumpkin Fruitcake

Ingredients

Group 1)
250g sultanas
125g butter or margarine
2 Tabs golden syrup
200g sugar (can use brown or demerara if you like but white is fine)
1 cup cold water (about 200ml)
1 teas bicarbonate

Group2)
225g plain flour + 1 teas baking powder, or use all SR flour
2 eggs
1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin

One large springform tin (think mine is a 24cm?). Grease and line with paper.
Preheat oven to 170deg.

•   Put the first group of ingredients in a large saucepan and boil together for 10-15 mins, stirring frequently. It will bubble and foam up. Leave to cool a while until just warm. Tip: use a big saucepan and you can mix the whole mix in it.

•   Add the mashed pumpkin, mix well.

•   Then add half flour, 1 egg, mix well, then other half of flour and second egg and mix till there are no lumps.

•   Pour into tin, cook at 170 deg at least an hour. Test with skewer, it should be quite dry. If not, cook longer, protect the top with foil if it browns too much. It should have a rich fruit cake aspect when cooked. Keeps several days in an airtight tin.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 13:06:53 »
Thank you for the recipe. I will make it tomorrow. It looks as though it will be a lovely moist cake.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 16:22:16 »
Yes it is very moist. People often say oh you've put such and such a spice in there, but there isn't any at all. It's just the effect of the fruit and the pumpkin. You can put in more dried fruit if you like or add other dried fruits like mixed fruit - you just can't get that in France so I just use sultanas. The mixture, once cooked, looks very gloopy but that's normal. You should be able to pour it into the cake tin.
It lasts ages but is also popular !!! so doesn't last long in my house.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 21:17:02 »
Antipodes - dried fruit is very expensive here so is sold in very small packets and my usual supermarket doesn't even have raisins or sultanas?  However, some years ago I discovered a patissere wholesaler and retailer that sells equipement and ingredients to bakers and caterers.

They have large bags of raisins, sultanas, apricots,cherries etc but also candied orange peel in strips, pistachios, pecans, pine nuts and seeds and flours at very reasonable prices so I can make a Creole Xmas cake without breaking the bank.  I also use the orange zest for a chocolate orange mud cake that is luscious.   Then there's all the chocolate chips and shavings and blocks.  Wonderful shop.

See if there's one near you or maybe a north African deli or grocer.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 10:25:01 »
I am pleased with my little self as finally managed to make a decent pumpkin pie. When I made before they were too stodgy then had some at a friends and realised it needs the balance of ingredients changing. I used Greek yogurt to blend instead of cream to fool myself more healthy that way. :glasses9:

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 11:38:24 »
I made a recipe the other day using a Kuri squash that worked very well:

Cubes of squash rolled about in soya sauce and honey (or golden syrup), scattered with toasted sesame seeds and baked hot until softened and slightly caramelised. Served them with toothpicks plus a dip of creme fraiche with chopped herbs and very finely chopped onion and garlic. Don't let the cubes get too soft or the toothpicks won't work. Or you could serve them on a plate with a fork and a dollop of the dip.

My husband hates squash, but enjoyed at a party little pastries the size of a small pork pie with a savoury yet slightly sweet orange filling. This turned out to be pumpkin/squash of some sort, and I mean to try to make some. I imagine the filling to be some permutation of mashed squash and fried onions, maybe some grated cheese, chopped herbs, whatever.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:46:33 by artichoke »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal