Author Topic: This Years Garlic Crop  (Read 2613 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
This Years Garlic Crop
« on: October 25, 2014, 20:56:59 »
How was your garlic crop this year? I grow an unknown softkneck variety grown from my own cloves (OK not recomended I know but I am a confirmed cheapskate!). I usually get good results and decent sized bulbs/cloves. Today I planted my cloves for next years crop and while the bulbs were a reasonable size (bit smaller than some years) the cloves inside were quite small and I struggled to find enough good sized cloves for replanting.

I was wondering if this was a common occurrence or a sign that I need to buy new planting stock? I have a theory that last winter wasn't cold enough and this combined with excessive wet hasnt helped the bulbs/cloves reach a decent size? Or what else could gave caused this 'problem'. Any ideas?

Thanks.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: This Years Garlic Crop
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 22:03:01 »
Ummm...hmmmm....well....my garlic bulbs didn't reach their normal size neither and I put it down for the bleeding rust that hit the plants in big time....just as they were in the bulking stage. The tops were big and beautiful..promised all good things to come and the came the rust.
There was nothing to do really as this was more to do with weather conditions..every body had it here. Another issue I had that by the time I was ready for lifting the bleeders up, ground had dried out into solid lump and I didn't had it in me to start hacking such a quantity of bulbs out of ground.....so...once we've had bit of rain I dug them up and all the skins were already 'gone'.. :BangHead:
No problem as such...just meaning that the cloves were dirty with soil for the lack of protecting skin around the bulbs.
But in a good note....even the bulb weren't the biggest and best I seem to have enough for planting and eating.
Not the best year and could have been even worst...but next year, it will be brilliant :icon_cheers: :sunny: :glasses9:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:23:23 »
Yes I agree with goodlife's summing up entirely.  At the time the garlic bulbs needed the photosynthesis from all their green leaves, the leaves were already covered in rust pustules and couldn't do their stuff properly.  Yes, it also was a mild winter, but probably cold enough (at least here), because my hardneck garlics were a little better than the softnecks.

Next year ................   :wave:

On the other hand, smaller cloves tend to have more concentrated flavour, just a bit more fiddly to deal with in the kitchen.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:29:00 »
When I got round to lifting my garlic all I could find were loose cloves.  Dozy here forgot about them and all the papers disappeared.  All I did was give the cloves a bit of a soak of wash them, peel, and freeze.  That is also what I did the year the bulbs were incredibly titchy.  Stinks the freezer out a bit initially but are so much easier when in a rush when cooking - just chuck some in - no further prep necessary.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:19:40 »
The first few garlics I dug out were beautiful, but then I left them for a couple of weeks and they went soggy and lost the skins. I can't throw anything away so I washed and dried them, but not many have stayed firm. I even bought some the other day....at least they were reduced price......

I am worried that my lovely leeks are getting rust. Will they last the winter??? It's only October!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:34:28 »
I am worried that my lovely leeks are getting rust. Will they last the winter??? It's only October!

Rust is not winter issue unless it is unusually warm. So if they are 'clean' from it now, it is unlikely they will have issue with rust during winter months. Should they have odd spot now on them....it should not spread much. You should have plenty of time to use your leeks up before rust season is upon us again.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 21:09:02 »
Useful to know that about rust on leeks: I was hoping that was the case with mine.

Of my garlic only "Sprint" did well and I have used some of that to plant. It doesn't seem to be available this year - anyone know why?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 11:00:52 »
A lot better than I'd expected when it all keeled over early in June! Putting it in a raised bed rather than level ground made a big difference.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 16:18:28 »
I have already planted mine, earlier than usual and they already have big sprouts! I am a bit worried that they will have trouble surviving winter. I might stick in another few cloves in December, just in case.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal