Author Topic: Cinnamon Vine (for Galina!)  (Read 1975 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Cinnamon Vine (for Galina!)
« on: October 24, 2014, 14:35:59 »
FINALLY! ....I managed to get something out of this crop  :icon_cheers: It only took..what 2 ...3 years since I received handful of those little cinnamon vine 'balls' from Galina. The reason for the lack of sizeable tubers has been my insistence of growing the plants outdoors where they've had to struggle against elements and millions of slugs and snails.
This spring I planted over wintered finger size tubers into bucket size pots, put clear plastic dome over them and left them to it. The domes didn't come off until there was good size plants underneath..about early June. After that they romped away and all looked very promising.
Today I noticed one vine starting to turn yellow and I couldn't wait any longer to see what is lurking in the soil....AND... :icon_cheers:
One larger one and 3 'carrot' size ones that will be planted as 'starter tubers' next year. Two more planters to turn over...vines in those are still healthy green so they will have to wait little longer...but at least I know the promise is there.. :icon_thumleft:
Next year 'dig out' even bigger pots and I have to start planning if I could possibly fit them somewhere 'undercover'..I fancy doing it 'properly' next time.. :drunken_smilie:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 14:39:39 by goodlife »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Cinnamon Vine (for Galina!)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 18:56:25 »
YAY!   :sunny:  nice tuber goodlife.  Good luck with the next ones too.  My outdoors attempts have all failed, so congratulations on that too  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 19:07:51 »
I have mine in the greenhouse but not looked underneath yet. It came from Galina via good life and sulked outside for a couple of years so I am glad that I put it inside. What is the view on taste?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 19:17:58 »

Code: [Select]
What is the view on taste?

I will come back to you with that tomorrow... :icon_cheers: :toothy10: I might not make whole meal out of that one, but it will be interesting addition to our Chinese meal. :happy7:

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 13:38:11 »
Cool, I've got one in my greenhouse, it was still going OK last I looked... they dont seem to like it too wet I've found... or maybe it just got too cold in that brief snap we had in Spring...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 14:03:10 »
I have turned over rest of the planters too and there wasn't any decent tubers there for eating...plenty of 'carrot size' ones for planting next year.
Nor have I eaten the one and only tuber, not yet....but I will soon! :glasses9:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal