Author Topic: Malaysian Bass Fish Curry,with Rice & Coriander Roti  (Read 6835 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Malaysian Bass Fish Curry,with Rice & Coriander Roti
« on: October 21, 2014, 22:35:10 »
I Luv a dipping curry so it was about time I made this Malaysian Bass Fish Curry with some Boiled Rice and Coriander Roti Bread.
This Fish Curry is ideal served with the Asian Style Rotis as they make Top Dipping side Breads along with some simple Boiled Rice.

INGREDIENTS

1 Bass Fillet
3 tbsps Desiccated Coconut
2 tbsps Vegetable Oil
1 inch piece Fresh Ginger skinned and shredded
2 Fresh Garlic Bulbs Skinned and shredded
2 Red Chillies Deseeded and chopped fine
2 inch Lemon Grass stalk outer skin removed then shredded
spring onions chopped for garnish
1 tbsp Fish Sauce
14oz tin coconut milk
600ml chicken stock
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 tbsp sugar
Juice of 1 Lime
Boiled Rice

Ok,get the rice on the boil  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INGREDIENTS

Coriander Roti

225 grms Self Raising Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil plus more for cooking
Handful Chopped Fresh Coriander
Tepid water to make dough

Right,First lets get the Bass Fillet cut into chunks and  Salted and set aside in the fridge................

Next,lets make the Coriander Rotis...........................

Sift the flour into a bowl and add the salt,then add the Tbsp of Olive oil and start to add some tepid water,gradually bring the ingredients together,adding more water as you need it.....just enough though as we want a soft sticky workable dough
kneed the dough on a board using some more flour if you need....and you get the resulting dough ball that you set aside for 30 mins.

Divide the Dough Ball into 6 smaller balls,....now ....roll out a ball to around 8 ins round ,once rolled out smear some oil over the Roti,now bring the bottom side toward the middle,the upper down toward the middle and the sides into the middle to end up with a square......now roll out again to a plate size and to the thickness of a 20p piece.

Heat some Vegetable oil in a Hot Wok/pan and cook the Roti for around 3 mins until it starts to bubble.

now turn over and cook the other side for a further 3 mins so there is some charring on both sides but still soft...!!!!

cook them all and set aside in a warm oven  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right lets get the Curry on the go  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly heat the pan to a moderate heat and dry fry the desiccated coconut till evenly browned..!!!!!

now add the vegetable oil,ginger,chillies,garlic,and Lemon grass and fry briefly on a moderate heat.......

now add the fish sauce,and strain the coconut milk through a sieve then add to the wok...heat through.

Add the chicken stock,Turmeric,Sugar,a pinch of salt and the Lime Juice and simmer for about 10 minutes  !!!!!!!

C,MON NOW STAY WITH ME WERE NEARLY THERE  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submerge the Bass Chunks in the curry sauce and simmer for 6 to 8 mins or until cooked through  !!!!!!!

now lastly,stir in the creamy part of the Coconut Milk and let it simmer to thicken the Curry sauce  !!!!!!!!!!!

Cut and serve the Roti Breads with the boiled Rice.....................

Serve the Curry in a bowl with a few Lime wedges and some Coriander and chilli garnish

""Malaysian Bass Fish Curry,with Rice & Coriander Roti""

Enjoy

Gazza

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: Malaysian Bass Fish Curry,with Rice & Coriander Roti
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 22:58:04 »
Another yummy-looking dish, thanks!

I love the look of the flatbread especially. :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:11:16 »
That looks yummy Gazza! 

Apart from 1 tbsp of sugar which, being diabetic, I could replace with Splenda, the curry has nothing that would raise my blood glucose levels. I have copied it to put in my recipe folder for future use when I catch some bass. 

However, being a diabetic who is being controlled by diet alone, I wouldn't be allowed the boiled rice or the roti.  I would have to have cauliflower rice with mine ie. grated cauli fried in a little sesame or olive oil.     

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:53:05 »
Love the look of the roti, will try making them tomorrow  :toothy10:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:57 »
For those of us who don't fish, would supermarket frozen coley pieces work?  The curry looks amazing and I am itching to try it too.  Thanks Gazza  :wave:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:34 »
Absolutely no reason why not Galina........

Coley or (Coalfish) although a bit down the pecking order of the cod family would be every bit as tasty,the only thing is that it is
a very flaky fish and you would end up with it breaking up in the bowl.....whereas the Humble Bass has firm flesh and stays intact
during cooking.....Jude really enjoyed it last night.....as although ive made it with 2 small HOT chillies...I relented and put in 2
4 inch mildish jobbies to keep her sweet.

Tween you and me......Jude and I fed our 3 moggies on minced coley from the pet shop for 20 years..... :tongue3:

if it were me and ££££££ no object id find your local wet fish shop and buy a pair of decent sized Bass fillets to use as
Tesco and the like use (far too small) in my opinion farmed bass,but they sell it so there you go  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes Pauline,I guess any sugar substitute would be ok.....but tween you and me and Galina and all the other D,s on here
I tend to stick to recipes but will use this as it is LOW GI as it is of Asian origin and "fits" the recipe well and is excellent for cooking.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268582556

Gazza

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 11:45:12 »
Ok thanks Gazza.  After being told time and again that cod is somewhat endangered, we now often buy frozen coley.  Yes it does tend to fall apart and needs to be cooked quickly in a sauce and lifted out gently. 

I am very envious of all your lovely fish.  We do have a Tesco with a fish counter 7 miles away except we don't usually shop there.  We have a local Asda with a fish counter and I will have a look if they do bass there.

Gosh, even your cats are gourmets  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:37:21 »
I'm the same, I don't buy cod or haddock anymore because of worries about their numbers, but I don't think catching a few yourself with pole and line makes any real difference.

I don't fish though, so I go for alternatives like pollock in the supermarket. I'm going to try this with river cobbler/basa tonight - a few substitutions needed though as I don't have spring onions, coriander or lemongrass!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 15:55:38 »
Well the spring onions are only garnish so no prob there,the coriander leaf can just Be replaced with a large handful of chopped fresh parsley from the garden and for the lemon grass I would grate
The zest from a lemon ......I've certainly used parsley in the Roti breads loads of times.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 17:15:50 »
OOOOOhhhhhh....now that is pressing my buttons!  :icon_cheers:
And the roti interest me too....I wonder how that would taste if made with Vietnamese coriander that I have growing quite a 'jungle'. Hmm...interesting...

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 20:27:30 »
Okay, we approve. :)

Made with river cobbler, used galangal instead of the lemongrass and onion seeds in the bread, and warmed up some leftover millet from yesterday instead of rice. Worked out very nice, although I'll add peppers and onions to it next time.

Thanks Gazza!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:02:53 »
Another great recipe.  I am trying to imagine cooking with a camera poised at the ready, trying to capture perfect pictures of what I am doing at each stage. 

I am trying to think of a way to make it Gluten Free so think I will make my pancake recipe for the Rotis, (I use half buck wheat and half cornflour with egg.)    Without egg or gluten they would tend to fall apart.  Though I do like pure buckwheat Rotis.  Might try parsley instead of coriander as I have plenty growing.  I have never tried putting herbs in them, but sounds good to me.

Might try it with something cheaper than the bass.  I love bass just lightly steamed with lemon juice.  I will see what Tesco have on special offer.

I am also not keen on a Tbsp of sugar.  Sorry Gazza that will have to go.   I might try a few grapes instead. 

You seem to have Curry Leaves in the pic but not on the ingredients list.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:00:56 »
Yer thanks Digeroo,its fun when your aiming your Panasonic over a steamy wok,the amount of pictures that end up on the cutting room floor....if you know what I mean....or these days the Diabetes seems to have introduced a bit of the shakes in my arms on occasion and im holding the bloomin thing "and playing the maracas at the same time"....poor Ol sod !!! thankfully the technology
in the camera helps keep it mostly in focus...but im sure you've seen a few dodgy ones make it to the final edit....Oh well.....

as I mentioned to Pauline I tend to say sugar in the recipe but for Asian style recipes I use Palm sugar as it is LOW GI ....and will taste things as I go along....I think sweetness is sometimes overated so go very easy with it when I can.

Ah ha.......well spotted....gold star for observation....I usually start with flash frying the curry leaves in hot oil till the flavours are released but like all things when fannying about in the kitchen....cooking mums dinner ...and trying to get the curry done for me
and jude.....it got forgotten....and you know what....didn't miss it.

I miss that Goodlife,my Thai Neighbour on the plot had some and let me have a plant....I found the young leaves were fine when picked early as it was similar to "normal cori" but as it grew the flavour was quite intense ....and yes, thank you for the reminder
I will be trying to grow some again next term if I can source it as the lemony flavour is great when torn up and added to curries
and stir fries last minute.......now then whos got Vietnamese Coriander that I know....  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 10:43:55 »
I'm pleased to report that the leftovers made a satisfactory breakfast too. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 10:56:54 »
Code: [Select]
now then whos got Vietnamese Coriander that I know
"Ahem"....I could send you some cuttings to root if you wish... :happy7:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 12:18:28 »
Thanks for the info on the Palm Sugar, Gazza.  I don't think I will be buying any though as it seems that the jury is still out on whether or not diabetics should use it.  The price puts me off too.....£2.79 for 85g ! 

Ordinary sugar in the recipe is only 15 carbs in total and if the curry is served between 2 or 3 people, it shouldn't affect blood sugars very much.  It's the high carbohydrate in rice and roti bread that would affect me!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 16:45:06 »
Well well that's completely out of the blue and a nice surprise Goodlife.... :toothy10:

How might I return this unexpected favour prey tell,,?........ :tongue3:

Yer no worries Pauline....  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 17:47:06 »
Thanks for the info on the Palm Sugar, Gazza.  I don't think I will be buying any though as it seems that the jury is still out on whether or not diabetics should use it.  The price puts me off too.....£2.79 for 85g ! 

Ordinary sugar in the recipe is only 15 carbs in total and if the curry is served between 2 or 3 people, it shouldn't affect blood sugars very much.  It's the high carbohydrate in rice and roti bread that would affect me!
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Seeds/James+Wong+Homegrown+Revolution+Seeds/Stevia+Seeds_188120.htm

................... just a suggestion  :wave:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 18:05:10 »
yer,thanks Galina,the one I had on the plot didn't grow very well and as weve moved I didn't grow another this term but I read that it thrives indoors or in a raised bed outdoors due to root issues....anyway,.....thanks again as I would Luv to experiment with it
in cooking etc  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 23:39:41 »

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Seeds/James+Wong+Homegrown+Revolution+Seeds/Stevia+Seeds_188120.htm

................... just a suggestion  :wave:

Are you trying to get rid of me,Galina?    :sad10:  Lol ....just joking.    :laughing7: 

This is what your link says about the stevia seeds:

Hairy green foliage and small white flowers.   Part of the James Wong Homegrown Revolution Range.  Ornamental herb.

Grows well in pots on your patio. PLEASE NOTE: Plant not approved for human consumption.

:laughing4:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 23:53:12 by Paulines7 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal