Author Topic: planted first crops  (Read 2267 times)

ACE

• Hectare
planted first crops
« on: October 20, 2014, 13:08:00 »
Having got the new plot roughly dug over and getting impatient, I needed to plant something. Broad beans, I don't even like them much! but it is nice to see some sticks at the end of the rows to show something is waiting to pop up. I did come across some purple sprouting and spring cabbage at a garden centre £3.99 for 9 plants, yes your read it right £3.99. Who buys these things? I do but after they had been reduced to 50p. I know it ain't really the right time but they have two chances. Now I need to break up a few lumps and get a smooth tilth for the onions, shallots and garlic which are nagging me to be planted. Chatting to one of the other plotholders she kindly gave me a sweet dumpling squash which I shall save the seeds, it was roasted up last night to try and I quite like it. Also a crystal lemon cucumber, the jury is still out on that one as I am not sure it is something I would grow next year. I think I prefer those prickly nobbly ridge type ones.

pumkinlover

Re: planted first crops
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 13:15:04 »
Time to work of some of that holiday grub !!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 13:17:39 by pumpkinlover »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 14:42:27 »
Surely radishes will have time to grow in your mild climate?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 17:06:58 »
Surely radishes will have time to grow in your mild climate?

yes I suppose they would, but unless they were the black ones nobody would eat them. Forgot all about them when making up my list. I always used to grow them to use in stir fries.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 17:08:37 »
My plot neighbour planted out some spring green about this time a couple of years ago and I thought there were a goner.  They just struggled through the winter, I think I would have given up on them but come the warmer weather they soon took off and produced an excellent crop of lovely greenery.   Should be ok in your Mediterranean climate.

What about strawberry runners and other soft fruit they will be available soon?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 21:48:34 »
Don't really think strawberries are worth the room and effort. There are acres of strawberry fields around here and we like to take the rugrats on a pick your own outing, cheap, plentiful, but just one drawback they usually  throw up on the way home.

Fruit bushes are on the list, the bloke on the next plot works at Aldi so we will get the heads up when they come into the store. I expect I shall just have red currants and loganberries when I build a fruit cage.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal