Author Topic: Dung Beetles by the million, should I worry?  (Read 2818 times)

Galette

• Quarter Acre
Dung Beetles by the million, should I worry?
« on: October 19, 2014, 17:53:32 »
A few days ago we received our annual delivery of cow-muck. Lovely stuff.  Today we started digging into it and barrowing it over to top dress the veggie beds to be overwintered then dug in during early spring.  Over here in Brittany, as in many parts of UK today (Sunday 19th October) it is extremely mild (23C), bright and sunny.

Shortly after starting to dig into the pile swarms of flying beetles started to invade the garden, straight over to the muck-heap and the beds.  I believe they are Aphodius contaminatus, dung beetles.  This has been going on all afternoon, and there must be literally millions.

It has been a bit unpleasant for us and the dogs, who had lots of them trapped in their coats.  Apart from that, I am thinking that the beetles have been attracted by the er, pong, and that they are probably feasting on the muck and possibly laying eggs in it.  I guess this may have happened in the past, but I have never noticed it, but it is particularly warm for the time of year and this may have had some effect on the activity of the beetles.  And I have never, ever seen so many flying beetles at one time, just amazing.  Of course, I am concerned that if the beetles are laying eggs, will the little wriggly things that hatch out at some stage be gobbling up my veggies????????

I am sure someone out there is a Dung Beetle Expert.  Any info would be gratefully received.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Dung Beetles by the million, should I worry?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 13:34:13 »
I am NOT a dung beetle expert....BUT...I would not be worried about them and their effect to your crops. Dung beetles eat dung and breed in it and that's their specialty...once the beetles have had their orgy and 'seeds' of their activity is laid down...new generation will feast what is provided for them in their 'nests', they will come out and start search for some fresh supply's and party site again. :drunken_smilie:
It will all calm down once the weather cool down...was your dung more of 'fresh state' rather than well matured?

Anyway...come spring things will  just fine....  :icon_thumleft:

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 13:45:07 »
Goodlife, that is just the news I was hoping for!  Yes, the muck is fairly fresh.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Galette

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 13:56:16 »
Over here I can't ever remember seen beetles in dung in huge 'crowds' ...but dung flies..huh..those yellow little flies..'millions' of them, but again, once the 'orgy' site is not so fresh anymore they will disappear again.
Nature makes good use of supplies and move on.. luckily for us many insects have very specific requirements for their life cycle , it is actually quite small number 'bleeders' from insect world that carry on to bother us and our crops from their breeding ground.
It still doesn't make it feel any better when you have 'shredded' cabbages..I rather do that myself thank you... :drunken_smilie:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 14:44:33 »
Must say I have never seen them either! and we get fresh-ish manure every autumn.
Whereabouts are you Galette? Here in Nantes it was strangely warm for October. I planted out my garlic and the soil was very warm to the touch.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 19:46:50 »
Hi Antipodes, we live in Loyat in 56.

Yes, I know the dung flies too, orangey-yellow and clearly a fly. 

It wasn't until I saw them up close after they were caught in the dog's hair that I realised they were beetles.  Then I examined the muck and even caught more in mid-air and then identified them on the internet.  Definitely dung beetles!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 17:57:20 »
Dung beetles bury dung and manure your beds, so I wouldn't worry too much. Dung flies are attracted to rotting grass cuttings in large numbers, and I always wonder where they find enough dung in Birmingham to breed such swarms!

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 22:33:46 »
Even more good news, thanks Robert!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal