Author Topic: BEETROOT'S  (Read 3376 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
BEETROOT'S
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:12:17 »
Hi all again
       Beetroot   what apart from that cold soup and Beetroot and cheese sandwich that i love by the way  ,What else can i do with them please ?

I hear they can be roasted  but how and with what ???
i don't belive death is the end

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: BEETROOT'S
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:29:09 »
You can wrap them up in tinfoil with a little oil and bake them whole like you would a potato (I peel them when cooked). Or cut into chunks and roast with oil with other root veggies and a touch of garlic and some rosemary.

Also yummy in hot soup, and I like them raw grated in salads.

You can also make beetroot cake, a bit like carrot cake!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:55:22 »
Beetroot, orange and chilli chutney

Ingredients
500g (1lb) Bramley apples, peeled
500g (1lb) raw beetroot, peeled
4 onions, peeled
2·5cm (1in) piece fresh ginger, peeled
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large oranges
2 red chillies, finely diced
1tsp paprika
1tsp crushed coriander seeds
250g (8oz) dark muscovado sugar
450ml (15fl oz) red wine vinegar

Coarsely grate the apples, beetroot, onions, ginger and garlic - this is easiest if you use the grating blade of your food processor. Place in a large, wide-based saucepan or preserving pan.
Grate the orange rind into the pan, then, using a sharp knife, cut off the peel and pith and discard. Roughly chop the orange flesh and add to the pan with all the spices and the vinegar.
Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes. When the liquid has reduced and the mixture is thick, but still a little juicy, it is ready to pot. Take off the heat and, while the chutney is still hot, spoon into cooled, sterilised jars, then seal and label.
Keep in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months. Once open, keep the chutney in the fridge.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 17:25:41 »
BEETROOT AND CHOCOLATE CAKE     This makes a lovely moist cake

9oz dark chocolate broken into pieces
41/2 oz butter
10 oz soft light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 oz cocoa powder
8 oz SR Flour

For the icing

5oz plain chocolate broken into pieces
5tblsp icing sugar
5 oz double cream

Grate the beetroot coursely. Put chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt. Put the butter,sugar and eggs in a mixer and beat until light and pale. Add the melted chocolate and fold in cocoa powder, flour and a pnch of salt.  Stir in the beetroot.

Pour the batter into a greased 8" tin and cook on 180degrees C for 45 to 50 mins. Turn onto wire rack to cool.

Put all icing ingredients in a bowl set over simmering water. Allow to melt. Take off heat and beat until glossy then leave to cool and thicken. Spread over cake with palette knife.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 14:47:56 »
In France they eat beetroot simply boiled and cooled (boil with skin on), cut into chunks and tossed in a mustardy French dressing. This is a common starter here. They do not pickle it in vinegar as is common in the UK. It is also nice, raw grated into salads.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 14:58:39 »
Chopped up boiled beetroot mixed with little  bit stiffly whipped cream, teeny bit of mayo and dollop of horseradish sauce.....OOOOOOH...best ever sarnies with cold meats!!!!
I make it from 'pickled' beetroots for that extra bit of flavour but just boiled ones are fine too.
Our household Christmas must when there is so many other left overs to get through...I eat it other times a year too but try to keep a break from it so it taste that little bit more special during Christmas (how I hate that word.... :BangHead:)

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 17:50:16 »
Beetroot and feta flan is lovely

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:19:48 »
Ooh yes, beetroot's great with a little horseradish.

I made a great soup with beetroot and caraway seeds once, served with a fancy swirl of horseradish creme fraiche.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:55:54 »
Beetrot cake, beetroot brownies, beetroot houmous, beetroot and onion with cumin (Madhur Jaffrey), baked beetroor-t with garlic, beetroot slaw..........

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=beetroot
Obxx - Vendée France

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 11:42:27 »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 19:21:06 »
Beetroot, orange and chilli chutney

Just made a batch of this as I found a couple of beetroot down the plot.  Smells divine in the pot although it is a messy one!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 21:35:26 »
Yorkshire lass

In your Beetroot Cake receipe, how much beetroot do you use- it is not mentioned in the list of ingredients

Thank you

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 22:07:34 »
Sorry - what an idiot I am missing the main ingredient

9 oz of cooked beetroot

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal