Author Topic: How to tell if a cat's a stray?  (Read 10993 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: How to tell if a cat's a stray?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 16:24:55 »
Cats Protection make paper collars which you write your details and a message on, then
if the cat does live somewhere else the owners would be able to contact you and let you
know. The collars are safe because they would just rip if the cat got caught somewhere.

It's a lovely cat, I bet you are hoping it doesn't have an owner!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 16:25:32 »
Well I guess it could have had a run in with someone or something.  It does sound to me like it may be new to life on the street so to speak and is basically a house cat that has got lost or been booted.  But it is difficult to say at the best of times - my cat wanders into all the nearby houses and gets feed despite us asking them not to.

Do you have a local cat charity - they are very good at this sort of thing and will generally check for chips and give the cat a health check.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 05:21:30 »
I thought I'd update about the cat, as it's been a while.

I now see it almost every day, and it's even more affectionate now - it comes running when it sees either of us, rubbing against our legs and it jumps up on your lap at any opportunity. It's really a lovely cat and if it wasn't for the fact that I don't know if it has an owner or not I would steal it in a heartbeat.

Yesterday I was sitting in a chair bending over sowing a few peas in a raised bed when it came over for some love. Before I had chance to move it had jumped up onto my back and settled down on my shoulders! Gave me a little neck massage too. ;)

It's still eager for food but now it's getting food from me more regularly it doesn't pretend to be starving to death, and I haven't seen it hunting at all. It still likes to sleep in my raised beds, unfortunately! And now it's very keen to come into the house and explore. It's not sure what to make of my indoor rabbit and keeps a good distance away from his cage, looking wary.

I have a feeling it might be trying to persuade us to adopt it, even though Him Indoors says he doesn't want a cat...

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 05:33:39 »
Recently I've been seeing another cat around too. It's much more timid than the other - quite a heavy-set chunky cat, also black and long-haired. Looks like it might have some Persian in it, maybe. It's eaten food I've left out a couple of times, and I've been able to stroke it twice, but usually it just walks away if I approach.

I really want to catch it and take it to the vet because it has a really horrible-looking eye. It started off a bit cloudy and has progressed to completely opaque and an angry reddish-pink colour with gunky discharge, and obviously needs medical attention.

So I'm waiting for it to turn up again in the hope that I can grab it. It'll hate me, but it needs to be done. Poor thing. I think it's another sweet cat but it's scared because it's in pain. Last time I stroked it it was really responsive for a few seconds and pushed up against my hand, but then seemed to lose confidence and backed off, crying, and then exited via the hedge.

I hope it comes back.

pumkinlover

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 07:59:56 »
Try Rspca or Cat's Protection website for advice.  Or phone, not giving medical care is worse than irresponsible if it has an owner.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 13:11:27 »
Try Rspca or Cat's Protection website for advice.  Or phone, not giving medical care is worse than irresponsible if it has an owner.

Yes, I agree. That's why I have no qualms about "catnapping" it, but you didn't hear me say that!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal