Author Topic: winter onions  (Read 3714 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
winter onions
« on: October 09, 2014, 19:29:22 »
I bought some onion sets today and a lot of them have long sprouts. Is it worth planting them? If so, should I nip the tops off?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: winter onions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 20:07:10 »
Hate to answer a question with a question but why did you buy them? If it was to grow now, for use as scallions, then plant, possibly in trays/pots/gutters andshelter fromthe worst of the weather. If for overwintering, plant under cloches or similar annd keep an eye on them. Here slugs are the biggest threat, together with rotting when the holes sit full of rain.Have decided to hold fire  until spring  next year, ,both to buy sets and plant. This year had good results by planting sets into own compost in the empty trays (of18)that garden centres have their 4" pots in.These are available for free from their "recycle" bin. Some have bottom drainage, others about 10mm up which act as a reservoir, and do not dry out. These were planted out in March when ground conditions hsd dried and were 4 weeks earlier than otherwise.
Dont pull the shoots off, they dont have a spare!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 20:11:48 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 20:42:19 »
Hello Plotstoeat.

Winter onions should be planted now. It doesn't matter that some have sprouted, but I don't think you should trim the sprouts.

Regards

Bluecar

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 20:54:01 »
while on the subject of onions I took over a new allotment in Feb and most of my onions have white rot I know that I cannot plant onions in the same bed for a few years but is there anything else that I can plant in the bed I never had any problems on my old allotment so not quite sure what to plant 

thanks
Barnsley S Yorks

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 22:04:19 »
Thanks for replies. I was in a rush buying them so didn't look too closely at them. My mistake.
I'll plant them without trimming.

Cudsey: I had white rot problems and planted brassicas followed by sweetcorn successfully on affected area. I also lit some small fires on the area: some say fire will kill white rot spores.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:18:42 »
I do not find cloches are needed for winter onions, they seem hardy but I do have very well drained soil even in winter.  I have raised the bed up a little as well.  Not sure they should have sprouted in the shop.  Next time try a different stop.  I think they will be fine if you throw them straight into the soil.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:27:22 »
I too would bung them in and leave the sprouts in tact.  You might be better off if you lay some fleece over the top for the first month or so - not because they're at risk of frost, but because birds will peck at the green shoots - and until their roots are fully in the ground you'll find a lot of them end up being completely pulled out of the ground by the inquisitive birds!

Once they're firmed in - you can take the fleece off again.

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 15:24:00 »
I too would plant them now. They're obviously wanting to grow if throwing up shoots. I generally give mine some protection
over the winter, not because they won't stand the cold but to shield them from the rigours of the winter, ie gale force battering winds, torrential freezing rain, heavy snow etc.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 16:55:51 »
Thanks for your posts. Saw Monty Don on Friday starting onion sets in modules outside. Never done this: has anyone else tried this?

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 13:53:49 »
I expect you,ve planted them by now ....but I thought I would just add my tip ....that is I agree with Digeroo that they dont need cloching , but I always put some grids over them to deter birds from tossing them out , they think the new shoots might be a tasty worm .....and also to stop the neighbourhood cat from digging there.....just until the little onion sets get their roots down .   :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:50 »
while on the subject of onions I took over a new allotment in Feb and most of my onions have white rot I know that I cannot plant onions in the same bed for a few years but is there anything else that I can plant in the bed I never had any problems on my old allotment so not quite sure what to plant 

thanks

For a few years I'm afraid read "about 20", white rot is a very long-lived spore.... build a raised bed and fill with clean soil, dont' share tools between it and the rest of the garden, don't tread on it eaither... use it for alliums for a while.... use garlic powder dissolved in water watered in in a mild wet bit in late summer to try to hatch the spores on the rest of the plot... giuve it a few years of treatment adn you should completely get rid of it according to the folks who have tried... I will be giving it a go next year cos my site is horrible for it..

chrisc

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 19:36:08 »
Thanks plotstoeat and chrisc for your info I have planted my winter onions in another bed but am dubious because as I did not know that I had whiterot until I harvested the onions I dug all the beds during the summer using the same spade ugh!!!  so will have to wait and see

cudsey
Barnsley S Yorks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal