Author Topic: Sweet peas eaten need protection  (Read 2277 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Sweet peas eaten need protection
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:34:11 »
A couple of years ago I had great autumn sown sweet peas but last year they all disappeared, not sure if it was mice or slugs or both and perhaps voles.  How do you protect your seedlings?

When is the best time to sow? 

Luckily I got some seeds cheap so will not be so upset if they end up as mouse dinner.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Sweet peas eaten need protection
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 18:06:50 »
You can dip the seeds in paraffin before sowing as this puts off mice.   Usual methods for lugs and snails - pellets, copper etc but I now sow mine in February so I don't have the worry of looking after plants in winter and crossing my fingers we don't get heavy frosts or munching visitors.   They soon catch up with the autumn sown ones.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:11:52 »
I will give one packet a try.  I tend to put them next to the waterbutt with the hope that the bottom of it remains about 4 C all winter.   

It is a bit of a gamble I admit.

Its not the seed which are a problem but they nibble off the top of the plant.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 21:25:56 »
I planted my sweet pea seed yesterday, I always do this on October 8th as I then get a good plant ready for February planting. The best protection IMO is mouse traps baited with pea nuts as these do not go mouldy and are a natural food for mice, I put in 60 seeds and will look for around 55- 60 plants. I have to grow them on my allotment now as we lost our garden and greenhouse.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 10:02:08 »
Thanks for the details on the date, I will get them started.  Bought a couple more cheapo packets.   

Nice to hear you have an allotment Laurieuk.  It must have been such a wrench leaving your lovely garden.  But I am sure you plot is coming along nicely.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 14:31:30 »
Thanks for good thoughts, I was rather down when I found no garden but the allotments keep me busy. The chairman of the housing association is also the chairman of the society where I show my sweet peas, I was able to beat him in all classes this year. It is 40 years ago when I first won the trophy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal