Author Topic: Chickens not perching  (Read 8263 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Chickens not perching
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:43:00 »
We have 4 ex-free range birds in a decent sized coup and they are all perfectly healthy and laying well.
The only issue is that three of them sleep in the laying boxes - only one sleeps on the perches.

The problem is of course is that they poo at lot at night and therefore they are sitting in it and them laying their eggs in the same place.  We clean the poo out every day but I would prefer that they perch so that the poo drops onto the tray below which cleaning easier.  I have tried shoving them out of the laying boxes but they either just go back or sit on the tray below the perches.

Is this fairly standard for "rescue" hens and is there anything I can do to encourage them to perch.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Chickens not perching
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:55:47 »
Are the roosting bars high enough above the level of the nestboxes?  Or are the hens going broody (unlikely at this time of year, though)?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 10:15:03 »
I don't think they are broody - they have always done this since we got them 2 months ago.
It is a standard wooden coup so I should hope the design should be ok in terms of height

We have one of these with an extra run -please excuse the product placement!

The nesting box actually covers the gap - more pics here
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:17:41 by BarriedaleNick »

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:51:58 »
That looks a perfectly good design to me.  The bars are high up, and broad enough to be comfortable to perch on.

I suppose, dare I say it, that you haven't got the dreaded red mite? 

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 11:56:23 »
You say you have shoved them out of the nestboxes - have you tried actually teaching them to perch? I remember one lot of chickens we had did this, and we used to go out when it was dark and put them in the right place,  once they were in sleepy mode they stayed put...I can't remember how long it took to teach them. but I know it worked. Worth a try - and yes, do check the perches aren't infested....

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 17:33:54 »
I don't think we have red mite - in fact we cleared the coup out today and checked the birds out.  What signs should I watch out for?
I think we may have to go with your approach small - never thought I'd be teaching chickens to perch properly!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:20:37 »
Ex batts and young birds sometimes need to be put on the perch gently till they learn. Some birds still go where they want but usually I find they prefer to perch when they learn how.
Red mite will show as grey dust similar to the normal dust from the feathers emerging but smear it and you will see blood as you squash the blood filled bodies. When a lot you can see them as moving dust! Check all corners and around the perches.

Wizpod.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 16:40:39 »
I've had my latest ex batts for about three months and initially they all slept one on top of the other in the nesting box.I 'solved' this by just locking them out of the nesting box for a few nights.
This was after I trained them to go into the coop when it got dark at night, and to move outside into the run in the mornings.
It also took a few days for them to realize that food, water and grit was available 24 hours a day.
Basically I think you have to train the ex batts to learn how to be real hens.............

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 17:29:17 »
Cheers - My chick training regime starts tonight although they do get very grumpy when they are "sleeping"

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 17:48:51 »
How very sad that intensively-reared hens don't know how to be hens. :(

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 20:11:41 »
Well Mission Perch is under way - Ladies moved to perches with only a minimal amount of displeasure registered.  Have to go out later to see if they have gone back to the old ways.

Esther seems to have got the message but Mable, Gladis and Betty may need convincing!

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 07:40:38 »
How did it go? I find them funny when they grumble at you. If I know for their own good too so don't mind. :happy7:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:50 »
My wife was on perch duty last night as I have the not-wells!!

All four were in the nesting boxes!  So she moved them on to the perches.  By the time she had done that one had moved back to the box so she moved that back to the perch only to see another one move back to the box.
I think we may be in for the long haul or I need to close of the nesting boxes at night!

They do like a chat though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal