Author Topic: Fear the reapers!!  (Read 5079 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Fear the reapers!!
« on: October 03, 2014, 19:19:59 »
Good god they are hot.

I grew a few Carolina Reaper plants this year along with some Fatali Red. They have all done really well with a good amount of chilies, healthy looking plants and they have just about all ripened.  Much better than previous attempts at nagas and the like.

I thought the Fatalii were hot - literally a touch on the tongue from the innards of one sets my mouth on fire but the reapers are nuts.  Almost inedible on their own but they make a great hot sauce.  Just making some tonight and accidentally touched my face after cutting some up - wosh!!!  I should have worn gloves.

If you really like hot hot chiles grow some but they come with a health warning - keep away from children!

Video here of someone trying to eat some - not pleasant!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Fear the reapers!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:37:08 »
Lol, I read your post the other day and watched the video, why do they do it springs to mind!

You're a brave man Nick, I find jalapeņos hot!
It's been a good year for chillies, I bet they put on a nice bit of heat in the sunshine this year. Will you grow them again?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 13:50:59 »
Not sure I will although the hot sauce I made is going down well with people at work.  They really are too hot to eat.  I am trying to find a true Thai Birds eye type.  I tried Thai Dragon from Nickys Nursery this year which are almost right but a little too large.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:48:46 »
Sorry, can't help with your quest for true Thai Birds eye type. Have you any Thai restaurants or food shops around you, they may have some imported and you could sample before saving seed?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 18:51:34 »
I bought a bag of dried ones this year but they must have been heat treated as they didn't germinate.  I am sure I can find some frsh ones in our local Asian supermarket though

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 14:22:43 »
I've just been 'looking around' chilli seed sites...as one do.. :angel11:..and noticed how many different 'scorpion' strains/varities there is, well there is quite number of MEGA hot seeds going around.
What I'm wondering....how does one use them?
I usually grow one MEGA hot variety every year..just for fun..although their fruit have lovely flavour, they are utterly useless even for my 'parchment mouth'..they just are too hot for cooking!
This year I grew bubblegum chilli that is cross between 7pot and morouga  (if my memory serve me right)...so far I've picked half a dozen ripe fruits and there is lots of unripe still to ripen...but even just one would create enough heat for all the spice mixes and cooking that one would need for a entirely year! Bonkers!
I've got some now drying near fire and whole house has lovely chilli 'scent' in the air..I did try a little..touched with tip of my tongue of edge of the cutting knife....OOOOOOOOOOO....bloody Cossacks it was hot!  :icon_cheers:
There is no way I can make any use of them!
 :BangHead:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 17:59:14 »
I just sauce them.  I roast toms, peppers and chilies maybe with some garlic and onion.  Then I add some mango and lime pickle and put it through a sieve - add vinegar and sugar.  I used around 10-12 chilies and probably made 1.5 liters and it is still hot for most people.  I tend to give it away as a pressie!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 19:49:48 »
Code: [Select]
I tend to give it away as a pressie!
 :violent5:
 :laughing7: ...because you can't eat it?...pressies for those who you don't like very much...? :evil6:

10-12 chillies!
Oh, that recipe sounds good...might just try that :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 21:24:06 »
Code: [Select]
I tend to give it away as a pressie!
 :violent5:
 :laughing7: ...because you can't eat it?...pressies for those who you don't like very much...? :evil6:

Always fun seeing people take a hit of it!
Here's a bottle - complete with health warning!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 21:45:02 »
That looks smashing Nick, Lol wouldn't want to be on your hit list  :blob8:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 21:46:02 »
Oo...proper job!
I propably get through 6 bottles of chilli sauce in a year..usually just sloshed on chippies or in sarnies...YUM...and OH don't like heat, so I'm going to make half a quantity for me  :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal