Author Topic: Mice  (Read 2504 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
Mice
« on: September 30, 2014, 16:48:10 »
How can I deter mice from visiting/camping out/living in my shed?  I have just demoused it - but I’m sure they’ll be back in the winter!

Please all help and advice welcome.
near Copenhagen, Denmark

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Mice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 19:39:36 »
De-clutter. Store tools etc off the floor. Dont store any foodstuffs,, seeds,, fruit or biscuits!
Be carefull to not create warm refuges in nets, strings,and paper sacks etc.  Encourage the local moggie to come and go! Be vigilant and keep a Little Nipper set discretely away from other visitors.
Watch for signs and use your nose,its probably the best early warning device.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:09:45 »
Thanks!  I usually declutter for the winter, but this mouse moved in rather early!  And you are absolutely right about the smell! What is a Little Nipper? Is it a mouse trap?  I tried to attract the local cat - but it was invisible just the day it could have been useful! When it stops raining I’ll get back to decluttering.
near Copenhagen, Denmark

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:03:43 »
I definitely had things in my shed this spring, there were droppings and a rodent-y smell. My neighbours told me to strew lavender on the ground! Thought it was an old wives tale but I did it and the occupants seemed to have scarpered. Apparently they abhor the smell of it???
Agree though that there must be no place to nest - they will chew plastic bags to make a nest and anything paper. On the  other hand, I feel a bit mean, as obviously they are wildlife and need a place to kip in the winter! Also, the more a place is visited the less likely they are to stay. 
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 18:42:26 »
Get a cat, two dead mice were my present the other day.  Luckily not bought in the cat flap.  That cat has spent hours and hours waiting for the mouse/mice and it ate most of it, and I did not have the feed the cat, although not too keen when it sat on my lap (the cat not the mouse). I just hate the way cats play with them before they are dead, and did a really girly scream as OH had to deal with it. I once had a mouse in the house sitting by the telephone and it freaked me out.

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:58:05 »
I love cats!  But my allotment is 7 km from my flat!  I just encourage the allotment cat (don’t know where it comes from!)
near Copenhagen, Denmark

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:51:49 »
Catch them in a watering can.  Plug up the spout put something to eat in the bottom eg chocolate and then block up all but a tiny part of the top, then put a staircase to the top.  Then eject the mice in the morning. 

If they are hamsters or voles your can use a bucket but a mouse can jump out hence the watering can.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 14:30:29 »
I saw a mouse ...where...there on the stairs....where on the stairs....right there....a little mouse with clogs on....well I declare .....going clip clppoty clop on the stairs......
........sorry had to be done.

Gazza

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 08:30:35 »
Thanks Gazza!  I was in Amsterdam this time last year.  Bought fantastic bulbs and seeds, didn’t see a mouse..But I certainly had that on the brain.  It starts - as you know - "There once was a windmill in old Amsterdam!"
near Copenhagen, Denmark

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal