Author Topic: Raspberry questions x2  (Read 1372 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Raspberry questions x2
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:12:54 »
Some of my summer raspberries have developed a bright yellow fungus on the underside of the leaves.  I have doused them with stinging nettle tea but this adds calcium though does seem to have perked them up.  Might make some with roof water.  We have not had much rain, soil is very well drained and the site windy so no ventilation problems.  It is only on the underside of the leaves and does not look like the pic on the RHS site.   More like the one on American sites called late rust.

I also have some summer raspberries which cropped well but have also decided to flower on the new growth, do you think it best to cut it off.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
Re: Raspberry questions x2
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 03:59:19 »
Don't know about the rust issues but my raspberries start to flower in mid spring with peak production then to early summer and I can continue to get a good feed most weeks right through to next winter. Sometimes these are on new canes.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:34:43 »
The old canes have long since died back and been removed.

My question was rather vague what I meant was should I cut the flowers off.  I am worried it will weaken the plant for next year.  But looks like the rust will do that as well.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:53 »
Could you cut them down and remove any debris?  Summer raspberry winding down now so prevention of reinfection would be better than the last few berries.

Ah just realised what you mean. I wonder if long season has made the plants restart into flower but stressed them so more likely to get diseases.?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:47:00 by pumpkinlover »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal