Author Topic: New plot!  (Read 1568 times)

itsajungle

• Not So New ...
New plot!
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:04:58 »
Hi,
In a few weeks I'm hoping to move on to a new half-plot in London. I had a plot in Bradford a few years ago, and finally made it to the top of the waiting list down here  :toothy10: The manager (or whatever his title is!!) has said I should be able to get on it in a few weeks. He's said it's been well cared for, just some hand weeding needed, and I can get on it once the current occupier has harvested the last of their veggies.

Now - some advice is what I'm after! Had I got it a month earlier, I would have ordered some organic plug plants (kale, chard, winter leafy greens,rhubarb, garlic) and got them in for a small winter harvest. If I'm looking at mid-October (or even the end of October) do you think the greens would be worth ordering and trying to get in? I thought I could get order them now, pot them up and keep them outside, and get them in asap once I get the plot (I can prepare a part of the ground quickly for those) or would I be wasting my time/money trying to rush stuff, and focus on getting the Rhubarb, garlic and maybe some small fruit bushes?

Other advice on things to get in early would be welcome too ;)

Can't wait to get growing again :D (and this forum is clearly ace - looking forward to participating in some seed sharing!)

Andrew x

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: New plot!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:31:42 »
Tempting as it may be to get growing, I'd wait and have a look at the plot first and see what you are dealing with. If you get a chance to see what the previous tenant had grown where, that will help you plan out what you want to grow and where. I think I would take a bit of time to decide what I want to grow, and look at improving the soil, making the best use of the space you inherit and planning for next year, and getting your plot nice and clear because I would be very surprised if it is pristine!

You will still have plenty of time to plant overwintering alliums like garlic, shallots and onions which can go in until December, but if you wanted to get some brassicas in and pot them up, that will work too I'm sure, as long as you have structures/netting to protect them or the birds will eat them before you!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 10:37:06 »
Andrew I would see it yourself first to give an idea of the soil condition actual weed situation sun position etc before making decisions, maybe have a look at what other people on the site are doing well with but enjoy and remember its long term. I would actually get your rhubarb in though as you cant pick much in the 1st year so this could save time waiting. and welcome.

err sorry this crossed over with the previous reply but great minds..

itsajungle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 14:20:03 »
Hi,
Thanks for the replies!

I've seen the plot, and the last owner has used it for potatoes courgettes (now some pretty serious looking marrows) and for storing a humongous pile of manure (I'm hoping I'll be able to buy a bit off him, and it's filled a good quarter of the plot so that area hass been well mulched...), and it is indeed not very weedy, just a bit untidy. I'm tempted to think it'll be worth risking a couple of quids worth of seedlings to get stuff in there, and a couple of rhubarb crowns!

Cheers
Andrew

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 15:30:21 »
If the weather keeps up what it's doing at the moment you've probably got time to get some chard in to over-winter along with winter lettuce, land cress, coriander, rocket and mizuna.  If you start these off in pots now you can get them in the ground as soon as you've had time to weed it.  You'll probably get a crop of radishes out before winter hits properly too.

It won't be a problem getting in garlic, over-wintering onions, rhubarb or fruit bushes either as these only tend to go in in October anyway.  If you've still got space you could also look at putting in some Aquadulce broad beans too for overwintering.

Even if it turns colder - most of the above will probably give you some returns ... and a lot of it might make it through the winter and have a head-start in the spring too.

Glad you got yourself one!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal