Author Topic: Spent compost  (Read 4859 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Spent compost
« on: September 28, 2014, 14:35:35 »
Hello all.

I've just cleared the greenhouse out and was about to put the used compost (that had the tomatoes in) in the household green bin when it occurred to me that there must be a better use for it - mulch, compost heap, use it again (with new nutrients) etc.

What are your thoughts?

Regards

Bluecar

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Spent compost
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 16:17:43 »
I'd put it on the compost heap.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 18:03:08 »
Just chuck mine on any bare soil in the garden.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 18:37:59 »
I save it for when I haven't got any browns for the compost bin, so many greens going in ATM.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 20:52:09 »
I use quite a number of containers for patio plants and ring culture in my concrete based greenhouse.

To save on potting compost I riddle my spent compost and fill the bottom third of my containers with it, then I top off the containers with new compost!

Sometimes I throw a handful of general fertilser in with it but not always as I find that the fertiliser from the new compost leeches into it, plus as with all containers I feed them more than I do to plants in the border soil it becomes more enriched.

Still on a saving note I often alter these quantities by filling the bottom quarter with farm yard manure, the next quarter with spent compost then top off with new compost!

So basically I use it as a bulking agent!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 21:23:25 »
I reuse this year's tomato bags, next year for peppers, salad crops, herbs etc. Never have any problems.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 15:28:06 »
Thanks for your comments.

I'll certainly be making better use of it now.

Regards

Bluecar

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 18:33:47 »
I tend to use it to bulk out things like carrot beds - being on clay carrots struggle a bit and they dont like too fertile a soil.
Either that or I add manure/chicken poo and reuse!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 19:44:34 »
Thanks BarriedaleNick.

I was hoping I could use it again with added nutrients.

Bluecar

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 23:01:56 »
Use it as a mulch. If its not too rooty and pest/disease free then reuse for spring bulbs/bedding in pots. Compost bin if no other use for it. Absolute last resort in green waste bin or to the tip - only pest ridden compost should be thrown away really.

Wouldn't reuse it for young plants/seedlings or particularly sensitive or hungry crops, tomatoes for example.

Hope this helps.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 13:08:37 »
Thanks GM

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 14:35:18 »
I keep all mine and put them in a bath ready for next years carrots. :)
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 14:39:18 »
Do you add any nutrients to it Jokerman?

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 15:22:42 »
Nothing. But I only use it once. So this years tomato compost will be used for my carrots next years. When that has been used I just use the remains as a mulch. I have never had any luck with carrots direct into the ground but the last 3 years this has worked perfectly in the bath.
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 18:26:19 »
Hello Jokerman.

Thanks. Three years use seems a good return.

Regards

Bluecar

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 22:16:52 »
Mine goes in with the spent hops and barley on the compost heap, brilliant stuff.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 19:37:56 »
Spent compost is good to have if you grow veg in those large sack type beds you get from Marshalls. Good as they are they take a lot of filling so having some old compost is a handy filler material. I have a few of these beds in addition to my main veg beds and most are filled witg spent compost with some fresh added to the top every so often. Works well.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 09:22:54 »
The spent compost from my tomatoes gets thrown onto my plot when my winter digging is complete and then gets worked in next spring.

Some area's on my plot are very shallow, half a spades depth at most so every little helps.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 13:26:10 »
I use a couple of trailer-loads of council compost each  year.(total about a ton, costs me 15 quid a trailer load)... about half a trailer load goes into pots as I'm potting on plants (I start everything off in modules, and plant out plants, even for things like carrots and parsnips, adn I sell a lot of tomatoes etc at boot sales come spring), most of the rest of it goes into the greenhouse borers to replace the top few inches.... what I dig out form there used to go on wherever the potatoes were that year, as they're the same family of plants generally (mostly solanums)...  this year though the greenhouse soil will go to help fill the raised bed I've established as an allium bed, as my plot has a white rot problem I've had to get creative to try adn get past it.... so if I keep one bed sterilised for onions and only use it, topping off from the greenhouse each yearthen as long as I'm careful about allium weeds on the main plot and use the garlic-watering scheme folks have found that seems to work then hopefully by the time the wood on the allium bed rots out I'll have cleraed the main plot of rot...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal