Author Topic: Strictly 2014  (Read 3438 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Strictly 2014
« on: September 27, 2014, 21:50:12 »
What do we all make of this years SCD? I personally am struggling to enjoy it as I have in the past. Don't know if its no Brucie, the fact I can't stand Claudia Winkleman (or Miss Antsy Knickers as i now call her), weariness with the judges - becoming a cheesy parody of themselves IMO. Or perhaps it because I hardly know any of the so called celebrity contestants! Doesn't help that they keep changing the pro dancers around as well. It used to help you get to know a 'celebrity' you didn't know if their pro dance partner was familiar and had personality. This year we seem to have a gaggle of foreign pros with unpronounceable name an no personality! Boring.

Not sure if I will last until next week let alone the final

Sorry, rant over

What do you think?

alkanet

• Half Acre
Re: Strictly 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 22:50:30 »
well yes.
I only know 2 - the antiques bloke and the Masterchef guy, neither of whom i've watched on TV at all. OK I guess the antiques bloke was on Antiques Roadshow, but i haven't watched t for 10 years

on the other hand i've found myself rooting in previous years for people i've never heard of, and some of them I forget immediately afterwards

so it's early days. though they are a bit uninspiring

I like Claudia. She takes an awful lot of effort hiding how very, very clever she is.

and Ola is still there

what am I saying. I know 3. Pixie Lott! The winner
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 22:54:10 by alkanet »

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:06:21 »
I find it hard to get interested in people who I have never heard of Greg Wallace being the only one I had heard of ( from when he was on Radio 4!)
Any way I find it looks promising though agree with garden manager about the judges. But after about 9 seasons they must be fixed in their roles by now. ! I like Claudia but didn't like the new look on Friday. Back to normal on Saturday  :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 09:40:38 »
I haven't watched strictly at all and didn't watch it last year neither. I got so bored with Brucie and his endless babbling..half of the 'celebs' I never heard of  etc etc..I just couldn't get interested anymore.
I would love to see some pro dancing comps shown in tv ..I used to be glued to watch all the glitter and sequins when I was 'a little' younger  :tongue3:
I have watched in Youtube some Latin pro comps for just one style of dancing only (like salsa comp etc) that are often held in different Latin countries..OH WOW..they are truly something! But these little bits of filming are often quite poor quality...oh I wish they would bring it properly filmed and into 'normal' telly!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 10:33:09 »
Have never been a devotee, but saw the opening on Friday and that was enough to put me off- so contrived!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:53:41 »
OH, Possum and I are all heavily involved in our local dance club and between us we do ballroom, salsa, line dancing, Hip Hop, Jazz and belly dancing so watching Strictly is a given.

We hardly know any of the celebrities either but don't much care as long as they're willing to have a go and take advantage of private, intensive lessons with a world class pro.   They get as many hours of teaching in one week as we do per class per season and shouldn't waste it.

The professionals are bound to change as the ones we know age, move on in their careers or start families.   The replacements are always well qualified and experienced so no problems there for us though we too have our favourites and are sorry that Artem has gone.

We are very pleased that Brucie has gone and like the Tess and Claudia combo although we don't approve of Tess interrupting Craig so much.  He makes valid points.    So good to see Claudia not wearing a sack this time and yes, she is very clever and funny too.

The judges all have their strengths and persona preferences.  Like Len, we like to see some basic steps and figures, especially at the start of the season and we think acrobatics should be kept for the show dances at the end.   Craig is right to insist on posture and technique and arms, hands and feet.   Darcey can be too encouraging in the face of dross but does give good advice on technique and Bruno is just hilarious whilst also making good points.

The singers and orchestra are excellent but we don't always like the choice of music especially for Tango and Paso.   Rock music doesn't do it for us for those dances.

We worry about the production team - both shows over produced and fancy this weekend.   Let the professional and competition dancing speak for itself and why or why do they think the fancy lighting effects and camera angles are more important than the dancers?  We want to see the feet and the head and shoulders and everything in between at all times so we can enjoy and judge the dancing for ourselves.

We'll be watching to the end but probably recording it for Sundays as we're out dancing ourselves most Saturdays from mid October to mid May.

Obxx - Vendée France

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 19:57:45 »
It's weird - I used to love Dancing on Ice and even went to see the live show, but I've never had any urge to watch Strictly.

Honestly though, I prefer to see people who aren't celebrities. There was a dancing show years ago with real people and no professionals - the contestants were paired up with each other - and that was great because they were all people who could actually dance a bit already. None the unfairness of having rubbish celebrities who couldn't be good dancers in a million years competing with other celebs who actually have talent.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 20:24:58 »
It was so bad I had to watch it.  I even felt sorry for Judy Murray and she normally gets on my nerves. Downton Abbey tonight, hurray.  Saturday night TV is always rubbish, but some people like it I suppose.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 17:50:48 »
Hmm, must be just me that doesnt like Claudia. Correction, I cant STAND her! Only really started watching the weeknight 'It Takes Two' programme she used to present when Zoe Ball took over.

Do we really need such a big intro for the judges? They used to be introduced when already at thier desk, now we have to see them cavort into the studio like the contestants (worse than the contestants in Craig and Bruno's cases!). Way over the top.

Dont get me wrong, whilst i will miss Brucie (if only for his teasing of the judges), i do agree that the time was right for him to give up. Just wish his replacement wasnt Ms Winkleman. Dont like him that much but i think even Tess' hubby Vernon watsit would have been a better choice to replace Bruce. Personally i would have loved to have seen Anton given a chance presenting. An entertainer as well as presenter, best of both worlds.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 22:14:19 »
I don't like the fussy entrance of the judges either.    Want the show to be about the improvement made by the celebrities each week and the teaching and choreography skills of the professionals.   For me the judges place is in their seats and objective in their comments and scoring.   If they can give 7s and 8s in teh first week they'll need to be marking out of 15 by the end.
Obxx - Vendée France

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 15:56:02 »
I'm sorry but this is not Ballroom dancing, very unlike the Victor Sylvester Ballroom dancing  at the Blackpool  Tower dance completions more like gymnastics.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 11:34:35 »
Some of it, like the belly whatevers on the floor, are definitely out of place but the rest of it is the sort of thing I see done by the more advanced levels at regular ballroom sorées here in Belgium.   There are 40 clubs in our French speaking association of clubs and a similar number in Flanders plus all the independent and league clubs so lots of interest in dancing here and lots of styles and levels of ability.

As I said, these "celebrities" get as much private teaching in one week for one dance routine as we get per season to learn 10 new figures across the latin and ballroom dances and in a class setting so I would expect their choreography to be rather more than the basic steps and figures and with attention to technique and deportment.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 17:30:10 »
I am not a Brucie fan not keen on Claudia.  If she is intelligent she should be intelligent enough to stop goofing about.  Miss Artem.

I am sure I will learn to like the celebrities, some seem to be able to dance well already.  At least most of them have a sense of rhythm. 

I would like to know more about the choreography and how the dances are put together.

Take two is ok but I hate people with their hair in their eyes.  Zoe, Claudia etc etc.

Claudia did look better with a decent frock on and not look as if she has just got back from a rather down market jumble sale.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 20:47:14 »
Amazing!  Claudia has ditched the sacks and got a decent frock. 

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 22:04:40 »
I thought the Osmonds were anti-drugs

what was he on?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 10:24:16 »
Better show last night. Couldnt really see the point of the 'Fifth Judge', his marks really did skew the scoring - a 10 in week 3, really?!! Love to see a 'normal' scoreboard with just the usual 4 judges marks and see what difference Donny made.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 11:55:47 »
I can do without singing judges and agree that Donny O skewed the marks too much with excessive highs and some undeserved lows.

I think Claudia is settling down now and starting to show her intelligence and wit.  Much more fun than Tess who can be a bit too vacuous for me but is definitely better than Brucie.

Loved the Paso from Frankie.  Fabulous music and choreography and beautifully danced.   Almost perfect and a joy to watch.

The stumpy samba from the radio 1 DJ was absoultely dire as was the jive from the big lady.  Sorry, not good on names as I haven't a clue who most of the celebs are this year.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal