Author Topic: Grazing rye germination  (Read 2065 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Grazing rye germination
« on: September 23, 2014, 15:02:48 »
I sowed some grazing rye seeds as a green manure on 4th Sep but there is no sign of anything coming up. Am I being impatient, has it still got a chance, or do you think the birds have had all the seeds?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Grazing rye germination
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 19:45:51 »
I should have expected something showing up by now...though there is chance that there might be slight delay and you need to wait another week or two.
If your soil conditions are anything like ours over here....still very dry and no proper rain expected another week, germination could be very slow indeed...they need good amount of moisture to get started.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 20:09:15 »
Thanks- we haven't had much rain here either (raining this evening though!) although I have watered the patch a few times. I'll leave it a while and see what happens.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 21:02:58 »
I would expect it to come up quite quickly.  Can you still see it?  Suggest some watering.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:35:55 »
Seed viability is at least 3 years if that helps to rule out one thing. Slugs sometimes fell the little shoots just as they emerge, but don't usually finish off the whole sowing. Broadcasting always seems a bit risky to me, as seeds are not that well buried, and birds scratch them up. I prefer to pull out little drills with a hoe, and sow into these.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal