Author Topic: It must be global warming - frost in September  (Read 2243 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
It must be global warming - frost in September
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:44 »
We had a frost last night.    There was a report of ice on cars.  Never experienced a frost in September before, it usually waits until November. 

Luckily I think we had a bit of mist covering the plots which kept the worst at bay and I have my best courgette next to a water butt.

I had not pickup up on it or I would have covered some of my courgettes.  Even if they did not get frosted they certainly do not like it that cold.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: It must be global warming - frost in September
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:44:11 »
Not quite frosty here I think but it got down to a bracing 3.5 C in the poly last night (I left the door open duh).

Brrrrr.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:50:36 »
We had one brief frosty night in September last year.  Finished off a few beans in a cold spot in the garden  :BangHead:

Last night it went down to 5C here. 

Digeroo, sorry you had frost and hope no damage.  A bit of radiation frost on windscreens may not translate to frost in the garden.  Fingers crossed.   :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 16:16:19 »
Don't think there was a frost here, the forecast said 10C overnight although it felt pretty chilly when I went out early this morning.

I've just set myself up an alert on a really helpful site called If This, Then That (https://ifttt.com) which triggers an email when the weather's going to be colder than 4C the next day.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 18:36:02 »
We were in the north Lake District on Saturday night and there was definitely a frost when we woke on Sunday morning.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 00:56:55 »
Autumnal Equinox, 22nd September, say goodbye to Summer  :sad11:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:20:41 »
Looks like we were lucky, I think that the morning mist rolled off the lakes and kept things warm.  The mist certainly looked very pretty in the sunshine. The tops of the trees have all suddenly turned golden so I think they must have been caught. 

Very depressing thinking it is downhill into winter.  I shall have to dream of my summer holiday in January.

I like the sound of that email many thanks.  Seems that site is like apps on your phone.  About time some created apps for pcs.  Seems we a due for some showers tomorrow.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:31:44 »
You don't need the phone app unless you want to do things like send text alerts. My "email me if the temp will go below 4C" alert just uses the website.

Another helpful thing I've done with it is "upload any new iPad pics to Flickr" - I used to do this manually to back them up but I'm always uploading pics I've already uploaded because I forget which ones I've already done. This works much better, I just go into Flickr later and name and sort them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal