Author Topic: Council Allotment Rules and Allotment Law  (Read 3889 times)

roy strange

Council Allotment Rules and Allotment Law
« on: September 21, 2014, 21:40:26 »
I have a plot on a Swindon site and am the site rep,there are a number of empty plots. the allotments officer has told me a few rules which they have regarding the allotments that a few of the older generation chaps seem to think that these rules break " Allotment Law"

Our Council state:
 That people on the waiting list take priority over existing tenants     
        This means if existing tenants want a extra plot, they only can if there is no waiting list aswell as if one was to want to move from one plot to another, the other plot holders seem to think that existing tenants have right over the list

People on the waiting list can not choose which vacant plot they want.
   They have to be given the first available plot in numerical order

This on site debate stems from the fact that my mate has been on the list but they would not let him have a plot that had recently been given up, now he is on top of the list and the first available plot is one that was given up a yr and half ago due to the fact its riddled with Horse/mares tail, which he has to take as he cant refuse a offer.

Does anybody know for definate is the council contravening any Law by these rules, or where i can find out.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Council Allotment Rules and Allotment Law
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 22:13:56 »
There is no 'allotment law' about those issues as such...each site has their own policy of these things and how they are governed.
I would say quite confidently that it is down to 'who ever rules the roost' on your site. There might have been certain practices in place that these 'older generation chaps' do remember, but they always vary over time.

Yes, we've had something similar in place, but it has always really been down to our current secretary (or committee) how he wants to manage the available plots.

andyswarbs

• Not So New ...
    • Eynsham Allotment Association
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 22:15:10 »
My guess is the council is acting pragmatically rather than considering any legal aspect.  Their challenge is simplifying management to keep costs aka effort to a minimum.  A simple rule, without exception.

Our non-council run allotment has just been debating a similar point.  From our perspective the primary goal is well run plots & site rather than a race to reduce waiting list to zero.  Our perspective is more complicated but because we run it ourselves we take pride on getting it right rather than keeping site management overheads to a minimum.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 22:35:12 »
Our site is 'private' association and we've taken the view that, 'it doesn't matter who gets the plots as long as they are cared for' and because of that we do tend to favour existing plot holders if their current plots are already in reasonably well looked after.
Sadly many newbies take on more than they can 'chew'...and after the first year or two , most plots are back in 'square one' again.

Once I met this old chap on market and we started talking about gardening..when I mentioned which site my plots was on he said "oh you are on THAT site....I've always heard that you don't get hold of a plot from there unless somebody dies"  Gosh...didn't know we had such a reputation, but he wasn't too far off..most people have had their plots for yeeeeeears and many of us have more than one.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:45:18 »
From the post we have in the past on this forum, falling out with the old guard does not work even if they are wrong.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:50:00 »
Our site is self-run. Our waiting list is what we use to give out plots - if you have a plot and want another, you ask to go on the waiting list, same as everyone else. Otherwise it's fundamentally unfair.  There might be a little leeway if a neighbouring plot comes up and you are near the top of the waiting list and have kept your own plot in really good order, but you can't get another plot until you've held your own at maximum cultivation for 2 years. In terms of refusal, the Sec talks to the people on the list about what their gardening experience is and might decide which plot would suit them, but otherwise a refusal means going to the bottom of the list. And it's about 5 years long. Given the length of the waiting list it should be 2 (half) plots per person - though there are some slightly dodgy practices people use to annex more than that.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 16:34:30 »
I think the present plot holders should all get together and tackle the plot with the mares tail.....it would be a benefit to them too!

On my old site the rules stated that if you wanted another plot you had to go on the list....same if you wanted to swop,you had to give up your plot and wait for another.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal