Author Topic: club root  (Read 4554 times)

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
club root
« on: September 21, 2014, 20:34:51 »
i was talking to a guy down our plot the other day he says he has club root on his plt but it doesnt affect him as he grows his seeds in pots then plants them out he said it doesnt affect them as they allready have the roots there

anyone know if this is true

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Re: club root
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 20:51:34 »
I think it improves things a lot if you start off in modules, but its not a total cure. I had clubroot on my plot when I started 15 years ago, but I haven't noticed it for many years now. I now always start brassicas in modular trays.

wrinkly1

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 18:02:58 »
true up to a point.  i/ve lived with this for years. rotate plots every year. loads of lime on garden and on plot. grow seedlings in large pots. dig large hole and dust with more lime . fill with more compost and plant. it,s a pain and expensive. i now buy club resistant brassica. they are o/k.  good luck.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 20:05:15 »
Try to grow all your own plants, both brassicaes and leeks etc. It can come in other soils ,and resist the kind offers from "friends" of wallflowers etc. If in doubt, dont. 

In severe cases, try to reduce transfer across plots. Even worth keeping a "dipping  barrel " containing Jeyes fluid solution  for boots , tools etc A similar use for plants used to be commonplace, but because of Euro testing regs., its not now advertised. This has not diminished its effectiveness, I am told. Try to keep your plantlings growing steadily, even with some contagion, a vigorous plant will succeed. When clearing roots from suceptible plants, place to one side. Dry and then burn at a high temperature, root and adhering soil. Never compost doubtful material
I am not aware of any permitted treatment, the traditional calomel dust has gone(mercury based!) and few accetable fungicides at all are approved for home use. Patent alternatives such as vinegar, citric acid and rhubarb stem await sufficient funding for controlled development testing, perhaps we shall "club" together....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 20:30:32 »
I had club root bad in a garden I used to work in. We got round it by using Armillatox which was brought out by M<rs Victoria Bray for honey fungus. It was very successful but now the new regulations etc. it cannot be sold as a soil fumigant only as a path cleaner. It exactly the same and can be bought in  any garden centre. If you look online it will tell you the dilution rates and how to use it. Many folk still use it with good results.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 20:44:37 »
I had club root bad in a garden I used to work in. We got round it by using Armillatox which was brought out by M<rs Victoria Bray for honey fungus. It was very successful but now the new regulations etc. it cannot be sold as a soil fumigant only as a path cleaner. It exactly the same and can be bought in  any garden centre. If you look online it will tell you the dilution rates and how to use it. Many folk still use it with good results.
Oh yes....good old armillatox. I haven't looked at their website for sometime now..but last time I did, their UK site did only mentioned it being outdoor cleaner, and their 'old uses' were listed in their US ..or 'rest of the world' web site.
I'll have to check it again if it still same...and save the mixes into my puter..  thanks for the reminder:icon_thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 20:49:16 by goodlife »

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 22:58:06 »
The most successful brassica grower on one of my sites swears by growing them on in pots to quite a large size, then planting them out with lots of lime. He achieves rows and rows of giant, perfect plants - cabbages, sprouts, the lot. As a novice there, I was very upset and baffled by my seedlings growing these weird white lumps on their roots, but now I follow his routine. Never sow in situ, but in pots. Plant out with lots of lime.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 15:40:44 »

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 10:04:49 »
hi 5 rod here
the more roots u can have on the plants the better chance of growing to a size worth having ,so if u have this problem grow longer in pots. I would also plant a  small piece of rhubarb about 1 inch long in the  bottom of your hole the acid in it will help
hope this is help full. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 11:30:25 »
dont know if my plot has it or not to early to tell has i got it as a field im currently digging it over and removing couch grass, bindweed, docks and dandelions ect

ive planted potatoes, garlic, onions and squash mainly to cover the ground while i dig also have my fruit trees in

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 12:32:43 »
i think most things have been said i have been lucky but i do put 75kilo of lime per bed and grow all my brassicas  in modules  i put the lime in every yearand have excellent results i but the lime 25kilo bags for around 7 pound so it is expensive but well worth the effort
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal