Author Topic: borlotti beans and sausage casserole  (Read 2596 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
borlotti beans and sausage casserole
« on: September 20, 2014, 16:50:11 »
Was watching Gardeners world other night and seen the beans borlotti bean
And i have seen them grown  around my allotment plot so know there easy to grow
So going to  try next year Looks like you grow as you would for Runner /French beand But leave pods to mature  and dry out ? Am i right > ?
       But  was really liking the sound of Montys  borlotti beans and sausage casserole  So have i got to soak theses beans like  dried Kidney beans ?

Or what  And what other uses are there Please ?
i don't belive death is the end

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: borlotti beans and sausage casserole
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 15:53:39 »
 :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:
no-one know anything ?????????

:tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:
i don't belive death is the end

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 16:09:51 »
If you've got space in the freezer, you can let the beans mature but pick them before they dry, shell them and freeze them. No soaking required that way, and they cook faster too.

But if dried, yes, just like any other dried bean they need soaking first before you cook them.

I bet they'd make good hummus or similar.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 11:16:26 »
In France they use this type of bean as either a "demi sec" (half dried) or "sec". With the demi sec, wait till the beans really swell inside the pod, the pod will go yellowish and harden a little but still be flexible. Shell and use straight away or freeze. They don't need soaking like that, just a long slow cook. Delicious with lamb or as you say, sausages or gammon. The French use the famous white Coco de Paimpol but it's the same as a Borlotti bean. Count about 2-3 weeks longer than normal green beans.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal