Author Topic: A 2014 video of our flower and vegetable garden  (Read 3942 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
A 2014 video of our flower and vegetable garden
« on: September 20, 2014, 14:36:12 »
I hope you find it relaxing and please don't mind the weeds which I cannot keep up with despite trying. I've added some of the grandkiddies in action and their music for the background, shamelessly proud grandma that I am. The dress-up costumes I've had in a trunk since I was a child, the pink one made by my mother for May Day which used to be celebrated by a May Day Court,  foot races and May pole dance to music in 6th grade, a practice long gone in the mist of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsL6tiEgUxI
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: A 2014 video of our flower and vegetable garden
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 17:40:34 »
What a wonderful video. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it with the sounds of accomplished grandchildren in the background. You must be one proud Grannie.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 18:09:05 »
that was wonderful

uplifting and slightly dispiriting at the same time :)

the flowers with red spikes (and hummingbird) - were they lobelia cardinalis? I missed it if you said what they were

lovely

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 20:28:03 »

the flowers with red spikes (and hummingbird) - were they lobelia cardinalis?
lovely
Yes it was lobelia cardinalis which I'd never grown before last year because it was said to love marshy or at least moist areas. That has proved to be not true as it has shown by seeding itself in many nooks and crannies which has given me the idea to try some other plants I'd rejected on that basis.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 21:42:16 »
I love your garden it's really beautiful. I have never seen nasturtiums that colour before!!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 06:17:41 »
Gorgeous! I especially love the blue jays and the nasturtiums.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 06:18:09 »
And Peter plays beautifully, but you already knew that. :)

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:51:57 »

lovely
Yes it was lobelia cardinalis which I'd never grown before last year because it was said to love marshy or at least moist areas. That has proved to be not true as it has shown by seeding itself in many nooks and crannies which has given me the idea to try some other plants I'd rejected on that basis.

I've grown lobelia "Queen Victoria" but that only attracted slugs, not hummingbirds :(

how can anyone ever get used to seeing hummingbirds?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 16:57:11 »

lovely

I've grown lobelia "Queen Victoria" but that only attracted slugs, not hummingbirds :(

how can anyone ever get used to seeing hummingbirds?
Maybe if you planted a lot of them with red monarda. Both of those get lots of visits from the hummers. The funny thing about hummers, regardless of their tiny size they are very bold and don't even like it when I go in the veg. garden where they hover over me and even will sit nearby on one of the bean strings and watch quite fearlessly. I have a blouse with big red flowers on it and they'll always be attracted by that also! Once there was a hummer nest in our dogwood tree, just the tiniest thing to see, wish I'd taken a photo.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24:01 »
i noticed the monarda especially. Big stand, strong red. I grew it from seed and it was a very poor colour(s). You have really nice cultivars

that Danish flag poppy is ridiculously photogenic

and if I had the space and the time, I don't think i'd have the vision or the skill to do something similar

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 14:09:05 »
that Danish flag poppy is ridiculously photogenic:   YES but out of a seed packet, only this one plant produced flowers!

and if I had the space and the time, I don't think i'd have the vision or the skill to do something similar
CLEAR VISION? NO! This garden has gone through many various renovations since I never had a clear vision of what it could be. I've had many very unsuccessful trials each year, adding, subtracting, and especially moving things around. I've moved arbors, shrubs, trees, paths, and, much to hubby's dread: fences. I even moved slabs of concrete with stone facing to form a patio which the previous owner had used as a stepping stone path along the side yard. Sometime for the horror of it I should line up pictures of all the unsucessful renovations. One recommendation someone wrote, which I never followed, was to plan the paths first. That would have been a good plan.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal