Author Topic: Purple sprouting broccoli  (Read 1588 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Purple sprouting broccoli
« on: September 19, 2014, 17:40:06 »
I've grown some PSB for the first time this year and have had it netted, but it's reached the top of the netting! Just wondering whether to take the netting off and let it take its chances with the pigeons and rabbits, or construct a higher netting frame. How high does it grow?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Purple sprouting broccoli
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 19:37:43 »
If it is happy it can reach more than a meter tall maybe as much as 1.5 metres if well fed. 

Personally I keep mine netted - there are some voracious pigeons here.  And then there are the deer as well.     

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 19:41:33 »
quite big depending on the conditions. I used to just fleece the top of mine until they were bigger and the cabbage whites had gone. Expect at least 2' of growth minimum. I have never had problems with rabbits but I would suppose you will net as you do with other crops. Pidgeons can be scared off with a few old cd discs hung up on sticks. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:01:42 »
I think we have techno pigeons they are not scared of cds. 

Though a few canes or sticks sticking out of each plant is supposed to take away their flight path and stops them landing on the plant.    I find hawthorn particularly good.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:36:59 »
They say you should move scarers and deterents around as animals and birds get used to them if they are always in the same place. It looks like my biggest pest will be pheasants. But if they eat grubs and weed seeds I shall let them stay. (until they fatten up)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:20:56 »
We have pheasants as well.  I sow parsnips and cover with rows of potting compost in nice neat black stripes and they come and tossed it about the place.  I thought they ate the seeds, but they all come up but not in straight rows.  So they do not seem to do any damage.  Certainly do not eat broccoli.  Plenty of weeds so not sure they are eating enough of those either.

Actually the netting does nothing for the deer, they can just move it or chew a hole in it.  It is a major problem if it snows  so the PSB is the only thing sticking out of it.   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal