Author Topic: Broccoli Plugs  (Read 1596 times)

JustUncle

• Not So New ...
Broccoli Plugs
« on: September 18, 2014, 20:31:50 »
Hi all,
I have received my Broccoli Plugs today, the problem is that I haven't prepared the ground for them.  :BangHead:
It previously had onions in and they were pulled a couple of weeks ago.

What is the best thing to do, the soil is very poor so I'm not sure they would do very well if I just planted them without any fertilizer help.

What would the collective garden gurus recommend?  :occasion14:

Thanks

Chris

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Broccoli Plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 21:56:06 »
I buy brassica plants and just throw them in by digging a quick hole.   Then they get a very good watering.   But I do use plenty of fertiliser. I use both blood, fish and bone and chicken pellets and a mulch of manure or compost if possible.   

I do not think Brassicas like dug soil so for me no preparation is needed.  I planted some where I had had strawberries and simply scraped off the surface.  Ground was hard so had to water to even dig the holes.   They had a sprinkle of BFB down the hole and a sprinkle round the plant and then the pellets as well.  They are doing fine.  I also put some lawn clipping round since it deters the slugs.

So I would say forget the preparation but feed, feed, feed.

And not forgetting the nets because the pigeons just love a nice juicy brassica.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Broccoli Plugs
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:37:45 »
I've just potted up some broccoli plugs in small pots to grow on for a few weeks before I plant them out. I'm the similar to you, the beds not not ready for planting. I know the advice is not to plant in freshly dug soil, but I've never really found it a problem, I just firm in well.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal