Author Topic: Blimey! Amish Paste tomatoes  (Read 2602 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Blimey! Amish Paste tomatoes
« on: September 17, 2014, 15:21:54 »
Finally I have found a cooking tomato that tastes just like the tomato sauces you get in Spain and Italy - sweet and balanced with very little acidity.  Also they seem to grow fantastically outdoors in the UK (although I did use Bordeaux back in August just to be on the safe side) ... and they make a heavy crop of apple sized tomatoes which are nearly all flesh (very little seeds and core).

I don't trust myself bottling or canning tomatoes - and I imagine I would have to add acid to make them keep safely - so I am just peeling them and cooking lightly before freezing the plain chopped tomatoes in meal sized portions.

The difference in taste between this and even the best quality bought tinned tomatoes are miles apart!  I'm looking forward to lots of nice pasta meals this autumn-winter!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Blimey! Amish Paste tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 21:35:02 »
Wow sounds just what I am looking for for next year for drying.  Have Roma, Princip Borgeis and San Marzano at the mo but was looking for a good cropper with a decent taste and if it grows outdoors, so much the better.  Where did you get your seeds from may I ask?

Regards
May

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:47 »
They sound fab !  I want to try them.....where did you get seeds ?   :coffee2:  Debs
Trespassers will be composted !

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:58:41 »
I got the seeds from realseeds.co.uk ... Of course it has been a really good year for toms with all the sun ... But it felt like they were more robust than some I've tried.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:09:16 »
Ah ! They're a great place to buy your seeds from ! I have often bought from them ....friendly , helpful and the seeds always a high germination rate .
AND you should be able to save the seeds for next year !   :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 09:32:48 »
Yes I'm a very big fan!  All my favourite varieties have come from that site and the germination rates are normally stunning.  Great ethos too ... we're very lucky to have them.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 15:30:11 »
Amish Paste is a difficult tomato to dry.  They are quite large and take a long time to dry.  I agree their flavour is outstanding, so much so that we love them as salad tomatoes.  Almost too good for cooking  :wave:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 16:23:40 »
In that case could you recommend a good drying tomato.  Guess what, muggins here, who had soooo many tomatoes last year, went and bought herself a dehumidifyer for this year to get a pants tomato crop.  The above said paste tomatoes I have either grown this year or in the past I must say I was not impressed with them.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 17:12:03 »
In that case could you recommend a good drying tomato.  Guess what, muggins here, who had soooo many tomatoes last year, went and bought herself a dehumidifyer for this year to get a pants tomato crop.  The above said paste tomatoes I have either grown this year or in the past I must say I was not impressed with them.

Oh if you have a proper drier Lottie Lou, than it is no issue - just takes a tad longer.  More difficult for folks who are drying them in the oven.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:34:46 »
What do you mean.....dry  ?    Debs

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 14:24:41 »
I'm assuming they mean for something like sun-dried tomatoes (without the sun?) ... although I would also be wary of making these from Amish paste as they are so big and fleshy it would be unlike anything I've ever seen sold as a sun-dried tomato. 

The plant seems to throw up a wide variety of different shapes and sizes but lots are about as big as a decent sized apple.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 21:02:55 »
I,ve made sun dried toms from Amish [which I grow every year in the poly]. I cut them in thick slices and dry them in the oven -sometimes overnight. I've only 2 plants this year coz I thought I was moving. Happy to save some seed but there is some mild risk of crossing with purple ukraine which are also in there. When I have a glut I cut all sorts of toms to medium size, sprinkle a bit of flavouring and oven dry before dipping in boiling vinegar and then covering in hot oil. I then usually boil the jars to be double sure. I usually find the old Lidl jars with bumps in the lids seal well but there are purpose bottling jars again now. But I've not had a failure yet. :wave:

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 19:26:47 »
Principe Borghese is supposed to be good for drying...

For a similar purpose to the OP's use of Amish Paste I use a variety called Heinz (1489 I think)...I tend to roast them up and then freeze them, the concentrated flavour is glorious in things like home-made baked beans.... but if Amish Paste is good outdoors I might well give it a go next year...

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 19:16:02 »
Definitely good outdoors this year anyway!  But it has been a good summer.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal