Author Topic: Ruby Wedding Anniversary  (Read 2206 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Ruby Wedding Anniversary
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:59:25 »
This Saturday, my husband and I will have been married for 40 years.  He says that a murderer doing life doesn't get that long a sentence!    :icon_blackeye:

It has got me wondering how we have survived for so long especially as we argue quite a bit and have separated at times though, for financial reasons, have continued to share the same house.  I have been dwelling on how we have managed to survive all these years when others would have split up years ago.  I came to the conclusion that it's because we share the same values. 

Politically we are both left of centre.  We are caring people and feel for others that are struggling on benefits because of illness, disabilities, unemployment and those on very low incomes.  Being atheists we have no religious differences.  We both love the countryside and the flora and fauna within it.  Gardening is enjoyable to both of us though I know he moans when he has to cut the grass or hedges, but it is a price we pay for having a large garden.

So what do we argue about? ........................ it's weedkiller.  I have really put my foot down these past few years over his desire to put weedkiller on the vegetable beds.  I have managed to stop him so far.  He has now put weedkiller on our patio.  He has been too busy to cement between the paving slabs and weeds such as thistles and shepherd's purse have found their way through.  I just don't see the point of putting weedkiller on them as they will shed their seeds before they die.  I could so easily have dug them out but now I am told to leave them.  At least we discuss our problems even if they do lead to arguments. 

So will we reach our 50th eventually?  I think so unless he doesn't do as he is told in which case he may find the weedkiller in his wine!!    :hmh:

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Ruby Wedding Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 13:19:33 »
Congratulations to you both Well Done !!!

It seems you have learnt to be able to disagree about certain things and that they are only small issues in the bigger picture and not giving up at the first hurdle.

Again Well Done!!
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 14:19:13 »
Would spraying the patio weeds with vinegar kill them? or salting them?

Congratulations on not letting differences kill your marriage. As my mother once said to me when I commented about how I'd never ever heard them raise their voices at each other all the time my sister and I were growing up, Mom said, "There is no argument worth ruining a marriage." At the time I didn't realize that not everyone grows up in a peaceful home.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 18:19:59 »
Congratulations! We made it to 35 years this week!

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 18:40:30 »
Congratulations to you both.

37 years today - just going out for a meal. It's all about give and take, but most of all it's about respecting each others views and never letting a disagreement last to the next day.

Regards

Bluecar

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 20:58:08 »
Wow, nice work guys!

I think I've been with my boyfriend for 12 years now. I have no idea what the secret is. ;)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:29 »
Many thanks for your congratulations. 

Well done Caroline, Bluecar and Silverleaf for also achieving many years together. 

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 13:30:47 »
Congratulations to you for reaching a great anniversary. Love Lorna xx

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 13:41:29 »
Well done!
A friend said to me last year "You are often tempted to think the grass is greener on the other hill, but if you just pull up some of the weeds in your own garden, you see things differently". I thought that was very good advice, and have found that it is much better to say when you are unhappy about something than letting it bottle up and create resentment. Sometimes you have to admit you've been a pillock and hopefully sometimes your OH will do the same! I think you know someone is 'the one' when you know that if you get news, good or bad, they are the first person you will want to tell :-)

Hope you celebrate it fittingly!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 14:06:24 »
Well done all  :icon_cheers:
Paulines7, what a special day for you both, congratulations  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal