Author Topic: First second and third prize a question  (Read 1426 times)

Nora42

• Acre
First second and third prize a question
« on: September 16, 2014, 14:51:45 »
High this is my first year as chair of our allotment committee and I am sort of learning a I go along, the plots have been judged and we have a trophy that is usually awarded for first prize and the winner has there name engraved on it.
the trophy has been doing the rounds since 1987 and is dedicated to the name of the lady who founded the allotment Committee in 1969.
I am wondering if it is acceptable to retire the trophy and just give voucher prizes. or will this be deemed disrespectful - the trophy is not pretty and needs repairing and Is so large I'm not sure people want to keep it in their houses.

What do your allotments do for prizes?
Nora
Norf London

bluecar

• Acre
Re: First second and third prize a question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 16:11:04 »
Hello Nora.

We have a trophy and the winner's name is engraved on it.

Given the 'politics' that seem to surround allotment committees, I think it would not be a good idea, as chair, to make a decision to retire it. It would probably be best to continue it for this year and let a decision be made by the association members at the AGM as to whether they want to continue it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Regards

Bluecar

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: First second and third prize a question
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 20:03:04 »
I agree with Bluecar.

But what you have to ensure is: that it is on the AGM agenda so that members are aware the issue will be raised.

This will give the members time to think about it.

Technically if it is not on the agenda it does not have to discussed, although it could be brought up in 'any other business' but personally I think it is too important an issue to be treated as "any other business"

Best of luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal