Author Topic: Runner beans as perennials  (Read 1892 times)

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Runner beans as perennials
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:49:29 »
Quite a lot of my last year's runners came up and made good strong plants this year. They were grown in slightly raised beds, covered over with mulch, so escaped the extreme wet and any frost during the winter. They came up quite late, but then overtook and outcropped the seed-sown ones. The plants are naturally perennials, but I just wondered if anyone regularly treats them as such.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Runner beans as perennials
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:44:26 »
They overwinter outside in the ground here in a mild winter, though survival rate is not high. I've never taken the time to mulch/protect them, I might try it next year. Most often I find they overwinter in a polytunnel bed with a fairly good survival rate. I didn't used to rate 2nd year plants that much but the last couple of years I've turned around and find their performance is very good. In general I've found they naturally wait for correct growing conditions and then they grow with gusto and quickly make up and over take an earlier seed sowing. I did plant a few seed grown plants in the gaps to make up the row, but otherwise it's been easy peasy. I'll possibly replace some of them next year as I prefer growing Red Rum inside  to Firestorm. Red Rum I think tastes better although not as long a bean and does so well in the poly with an early and late crop.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:46:45 »
Just before the first frost (when I don't forget), I cut the stems to about 8 inches, then dig out the roots and put them into a double plastic bag.  I add a bit of soil to cover the roots and water them in.  The double plastic bag saves messes here.  Not too much water, just to dampen all the soil and the fleshy roots.  Then I put the bag in the corner of the (frostfree) conservatory, tie the handles to keep the moisture in.  A bit of water now and then (not much) and they will shoot again in spring.  There are usually several shoots from every stem, but some roots don't make it.

I think it is worthwhile doing.  It's apparently a Victorian thing.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 16:03:32 »
So would F1 varieties remain true?

Regards

Bluecar

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 16:12:48 »
Yes, it would still be the same plant you grew this summer, it's just like overwintering the roots so they can re-sprout in the spring. 
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 18:52:59 »
Not sure runner beans are F1,  Not even Firestorm and  Moonlight which are supposed to have French bean genes in them and so be self fertile are described as F1. 

I do not seem to managed to get them through the winter.  I covered some with straw but that did not pull them through. 

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 20:05:31 »
This would be worth doing if the plants are still vigorous in the second year - as seems to be said above. Interesting!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 20:55:48 »
Seems worth a try, assuming I can find space.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal