Author Topic: Rotovators  (Read 2842 times)

boydzfish

• Half Acre
Rotovators
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:42:59 »
Having just been given another half plot I was wondering about getting a Rotovator. I have a couple of misgivings though, first is it's a bit like a caravan - used once a year then lying idle. My  other misgiving is cost and, speaking to one shop, he said that the new 'extra ethanol' petrol was causing fuel filters to rust if they dried out. I could hire one I suppose but this would give me around 4 years before I had paid out the cost of buying one, still it wouldn't be taking space in the garage.

Any thoughts from other posters?
Boydzfish

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Rotovators
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:53:19 »
I think it depends on how much time you want to spend digging (it's the only heavy labour I ever do and it helps keep me strong) and what your ground is like.  My ground is very rough hard clay and you would have to dig it first anyway.

You can tell I'm not a rotovator person.  You could start by hiring one for a day and see what you are.  A few of my neighbours have bought new ones and are very happy with them - they seem to be quite reliable and low maintenance so I wouldn't worry too much about that. 

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 16:12:31 »
I am not a rotovator person either.  That is because my ground is stoney and has clay about 8 inches down.  It also has bindweed and other unmentionables.

I prefer a good digging followed by green manures at this time of year.  That means I dig out growing weeds and get rid.
This also allows me to see what problems are in the soil (like loads of stones or loads of slug eggs)  I have seen enough slugs eggs this year to cook scrambled eggs.

So if you need a rotovator then bear in mind the condition of your soil (stones and awful weeds).

The other point to consider is can you handle the rotovator.  Do you have to "lug" it a distance from the car?  Do you have a big enough car to lug it around?
Do you have a strong enough arm to start the darn thing? (Do you have patience to spend 30 minutes or more each year trying to work out why it will not start?)  Do you know a good mechanic?

If you are happy with the conditions then go ahead and buy.

Enjoy your gardening.

Bill

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 20:34:58 »
I always wonder why people on allotments don't share rotovators. It's not like you need to use it every week, and they are expensive.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:58 »
i love my rotovator.it would take me all year to dig my allotment by hand.seems i good idea to share one with other plot owners though.
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 14:53:46 »
I have heard of allotment societies buying them for hire but we don't have a society, just the parish council. We also have no 'central' place to store this kind of kit but I suppose we could get round this problem. We have just received our annual rent letters (£30 per year) and I did wonder about sending a letter to the PC to ask what we are getting for our contribution to their coffers. The models I have been looking at are all very portable and will fold down so they fit in the car, they also have wheels so can be 'trundled' to the lotty. Thanks for all your input perhaps I may ask Santa!!!
Boydzfish

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 19:15:03 »
Over the past 35 years or so, I have had all sorts of different rotovators up to 5HP.   The best one I have ever had is the current one - a Mantis.   They fold up and fit in the boot, you can get various attachments as well.   I earthed my spuds up with mine last yeat using the furrower/planter attachment.   The only thing you have to get used to is working backwards with it but it does the job a treat.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 19:42:20 »
I love my old Howards, but they are as much a hobby to keep running as anything else... last time I tried to use a modern one it looked nice but  was nowhere near as effective.... though a guy on our site had a Mantis adn when I've seen it used it looked pretty good...

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:28:12 »
I always winter dig with a spade and use lots of well rotted manure at the same time.....but I will get my machine out of hibernation in the spring and give some of the plot a going over, especially where my potatoes are going to go.

The rest will be forked over and left quite firm for my brassica.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal