Author Topic: Harrogate Autumn Show 2014  (Read 1537 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Harrogate Autumn Show 2014
« on: September 13, 2014, 20:35:37 »
I have put these in the edible section but I doubt that many if any of them will be eaten;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tee_gee/15204729526/in/set-72157647148032677

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Harrogate Autumn Show 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:42 »
Thanks for sharing Tee Gee.  Very envious of th ebeetrrot as even growing from plugs didn't work for me this year.

I take it the very knobbly specimens were in an ugly veg category.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 15:47:44 »
I take it the very knobbly specimens were in an ugly veg category.

No! They were in the heaviest veg category.

In some cases I couldn't  find the tab with the recorded weight on it hence the lack of information.

They may have been very ugly to look but I have to say: they were BIG!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 22:29:50 »
Well I never!   Very odd indeed.

Do you do competition veg yourself?
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 00:09:36 »
Well I never!   Very odd indeed.

The name of the game in this category is size/weight not appearance,as opposed to the quality required in most other categories.

Do you do competition veg yourself?

Not any more it's getting on fifteen years now since I did any showing.

Although I didn't show at any of the 'National' shows I often competed against many growers that did!

Sadly I often came second to them but there were occasions when I beat them which always gave me a big buzz.

I did consider doing the National circuit but they are so far away.

It is not unusual for growers as far apart as Glasgow and London to be competing.

The nearest National to me is Harrogate and that's getting on for fifty miles away.

Harrogate is a three day show so at the least I would be travelling a couple of hundred miles to show.

My mate used to take his caravan which he used to carry his Dahlias to the show in then sleep in it for the duration of the show!

Yes you have to be really dedicated to go this route!

Hope that answers your question!

p.s. This show is more about individual 'exhibiting' rather than the commercial aspect at most other shows, hence my photos being mostly close ups.

This is a show where many of the National' societies hold their annual championships.

Societies such as the Dahlia,Chrysanthemum,Rose,Fuchsia,Cactus,Gladioli NVS to name but a few, then of course there is NAFAS with their floral art.

There was a time when I would get the urge to exhibit again but not any more I just go now to see how the younger generation are performing and I have to say they are pretty good at it, as the photos I displayed proves.

I still meet up with a few of the growers I showed against but sadly each year they are getting fewer as those that are still alive are often too infirm to grow/ show so like me they go and have a look.

My advice to all who are reading this is......try and visit a"national" show near you it is an education, then there is the possibility of purchasing some exhibition seeds to have a go with.

I have bought a dozen and a half spray Chrysants this year for old times sake!

Getting them this way you know you are getting good stock not that Dutch rubbish that many of the seed merchants are flogging!

Your questions brought back many happy memories and they just got me going, so my apologies for rambling on...Tg

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:17:12 »
It's actually interesting stuff Tee Gee and it's good to know that younger people are taking it on.   never been tempted to show myself.  Just want to eat good crops and have a colourful garden but am fascinated by the dedication and skills of those who do.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal