Author Topic: growing veg again  (Read 5855 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: growing veg again
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 13:47:26 »
Beds or in rows?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 14:17:52 »
Beds or in rows?

Still thinking about that. As the ground is so hard and stoney raised beds would be the way to go. But I shall clear it all off first and see how it goes with plenty of dung and compost. Can't plant anything yet as it all happened so quickly so I have nothing in the way of seedlings etc. I expect just a few rows of broad beans, onions and shallots will be all for this year, I was thinking of finding some spring cabbage plants but having been fitted up once before with club root, I would rather bring on my own brassica seedlings.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 16:56:17 »
Knew I had done some yesterday. But joints are easing up a bit now I am getting back into the swing of it. About a third cleared and dug over. The topsoil is very thin with a clay/stoney base underneath what we call hoggin down this way. So only about nine inches before the really hard stuff. Made up the top soil this afternoon with a trailer load of well rotted manure from the stables, so now I have 18 inches of top soil with the manure dressing.

The other allotment got let and the woman who rents it got a bloke to run over it with a small tiller, naturally it just skimmed across the top. I just kept my mouth shut and got on with my own. A few have remarked how easy I make the Asian hoe work. So I did put them straight and told them they could have a go when I'm finished before they buy one. After all it ain't anybody that can get the knack of working one.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 11:54:41 »
"Asian hoe" gives me some very strange search results

perhaps you mean "Japanese hoe"

or you're just a lucky boy

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 13:25:08 »
You say it's titchy but mine is half that size :-)   Well done, hop you enjoy it (and the peace and quiet ???  :laughing4:
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 17:00:16 »
Peace and quiet! you have to be joking. Them old boys can't half rabbit. I have taken to giving them the obligatory grunt, when they come down to have a natter. I don't mind being sociable but not until I have done enough work for the day.

Tomorrow will be different, they are having a barbeque, mainly as it is time for the yearly subs to be paid, so I will go and have a drink and get to know the rest of them. Although most seem to know me already as the secretary put the word around that I had joined them.

It could be handy for blagging a few bits and pieces like strawberry runners, rhubarb, raspberries etc. I'll take the old squeezebox along for a bit of amusement, that usually breaks the ice.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 17:52:09 »
Look at you, getting all involved............ :tongue3: Those poor blokes have no idea who they are dealing with do they, I give it a week before you can't resist some banter/leg pulling or at least a bit of morris dancing instruction..... :drunken_smilie:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 13:34:21 »
Nice cool morning, got there early ready to finish clearing and digging. Then the sun came out, too hot to work. So back this evening to clear the last 5m2  before I go away for our caravan holiday up in the dales.

Then mid October get ready for some planting of a few crops like onions etc. I would have liked to do a bit of equinox planting today, but nothing is ready an if things need a drop of water while I am away they will die.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal