Author Topic: My Day on Chesil Beach....fishing...what else.  (Read 2977 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
My Day on Chesil Beach....fishing...what else.
« on: September 10, 2014, 16:36:07 »
Decided on another stab at Ferrybridge but thinned the kit to walk a bit further..........NO Humpalumpa,minimum leads,no shelter and left all the extras at home.

although it was a stunning day,after 20 mins this sea of stones became bloody boring to walk on..........

so using this concrete marker on the landwoodside of the shingle bank
I stopped here,on the top of the bank I could see another 7 wooden posts
about 300 metres apart so maybe if ive got any breath left ill fish in front of each one in turn to maybe see if the fishing is that much better the further you drag your arrrsee.

Set up 2 x 2 hook size 1,s with Blow tipped with Squid with crab and black lug as a change bait.

Ive never caught so many starfish,the bloody things must be thick out there.

Got to be honest from 10am till 1pm LW it was pants,not one bite until the tide started to pull and it was like the dinner bell was rung,started catching
Bream to 1lb,so things were looking up.

Next was a double shot of Gurnies,a Red and a Tub.

This is my 1st Tub Gurnard from Chesil,such a beautiful fish and grunting away like a goodun,he had to go back.

Again,once the pull of the tide had eased fishing was bloody ard work
so sent out a "Dirty Rig" ,size 8 fine wire to a 6lb snood with a single small
Blow lug and the result was this Red Mullet,so scratching paid off.

It was then that 2 divers surfaced about 10 yds further up and dragging themselves out of the sea I couldn't help myself but had to ask what was
the sea bed like here.......?

It didn't make good conversation to hear that the sea bed was awash with
a film of scum and thousands of star fish and very little else was out there,a few Gurnards and pout but no Plaice or juvenile flat fish and even worse to hear was that although the conditions were brilliant for diving the Adelaide wreck was devoid of life,no Trigger fish,Pout,so even though I was close to it ...did I move and cast to it.....naaaaa...stayed put and struggled on.

They had dived around but said that small shoals of Bream would come and go but with nothing to hold them,me trying to fish for them was chancy !!

Anywas,once the flood happened I had a few more Gurnards to keep me amused..!!!!!

Oh,this was my spot on the Desert that is Chesil...........I did walk mid afternoon quite a bit further to see what all the fuss was about but nobody convinced me that the extra slog was worth it as theyd caught no more than id had.

Out of nowhere,I had another run of Bream these were a tad bigger than this morning,so took a few home for the table.

Although had my PB Red from Chesil being 1lb 3 oz

With HW approaching fishing had all but died,so spent the last 30 mins taking a few Mackeral for todays Bar B Q plus a few for the freezer.

Enjoyed fishing but it was "ard work" with the Red Gurnard activity just about keeping the boredom at bay,again no coddies,but a few fish for the table and if nuffin else just good to be out on the beach in the sunshine.

"will I walk further next time,,,,,Maybe"

Gazza

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: My Day on Chesil Beach....fishing...what else.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:31:46 »
All these fish should keep you healthy Gazza as long as you are not having chips with them!  We were going to go fishing on Wednesday but realised the tides were not in our favour.  We aren't early risers and don't like fishing after dark so have to wait until the high tide falls between 2 and 7pm.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:39:20 »
hhhmmmm you are limiting your winter exploits for fishing as the coddies and Whiting tend to come out to play after dark.

anyway,added these yesterday on a boat trip out of Weymouth had 14 crackin Bream of which I brought home 8 and gave the rest to another lad that didn't have much luck....so hes happy too  !!!!!!!

You can guess what were having for supper......and no chips just steamed spuds and whole beans from the garden.

Gazza

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 22:41:14 »
[hums to self] Chesil beach, far away in time, Chesil Beach far away in time [/hums to self]

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:00:31 »
Much appreciated Gray1720,it seems an age ago since my visit to Chesil in September and the tasty treats that I caught were long since munched on.

Once this bloomin Bronchitus is dealt with maybe the mrs will let me off the leash for a winter visit.

Gazza

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal