Author Topic: Printer & mouse stopped working.  (Read 2692 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Printer & mouse stopped working.
« on: September 09, 2014, 17:02:13 »
Much knashing of teeth as I can't work out why they've stopped working. Running win7, any ideas guys I've tried everything I know. Bought a new mouse - that didn't work. On a home wireless network with two laptops, and two printers. Can't print on OH printer from my puter. All networks indicate OK.
Appreciate some advise.     

Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: Printer & mouse stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 21:14:38 »
I fixed a similar printing problem by making the printers each have a fixed ip address. (You do that by logging into the router). Then when you print to a printer you know which one it is going to and nothing changes when things are switch off and on in a different order.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 14:15:31 »
If it was me, I would uninstall both printers, reboot the computer and install one printer and try to print.   If all is well, install the other printer and reboot then try and print to that one.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 19:06:05 »
Thanks guys for your replies.
As an update, I have learned the dangers of using 'ccleaner'. For those who are not aware, NEVER USE THE REGISTRY CLEANER!!!
I have - over the years & I understand that it can rip some registry values that you need. If you don't back up you lose what you delete. As a self taught computer user I have found 'ccleaner' very useful. I learn the hard way.
The next step is to recover the use of the USB ports. I can use the 'recovery' values to return the win7 to factory status. Of course I will back up all files, reinstate all programs as & when.
Anything else I should look out for before I smack myself around the back of my head with a cricket bat?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 20:49:24 »
Are they all wireless.   Try using a wire and plugging into a different usb port.  One of my usb slots has gone on strike.  I just deleted the printer and allowed it to find it once plug in. 

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 16:58:22 »
Sorry for the delay Digeroo,
The mouse is not wireless. I am on a home WiFi system. I think the 4 port operation has succumbed to my 'fiddling' and the registry has been corrupted. I can try win7 recovery and see what that achieves.
Any further hints would be most appreciated!! Using the finger screen is driving me potty!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 20:28:59 »
To let you know the current status.
I ran 'Recovery' & it went very well. I then ran all window updates (+250) which took some time as you can imagine. Interestingly, during last evening there were a further 5 updates & upon completion the 'bloody' mouse worked!!
The next day, however, the mouse failed again. I moved the mouse to another port & it worked again!! I know this a standard recommendation but I tried this previously w/o any joy.
Ain't life interesting???
Tomorrows challenge is to get OH iPad to work after an IOS 8 update. Apparently, there is a further update to fix the issues but I aint seen it yet. Seeing a local Guru tomorrow who may be able to sort it. Will report back - if you are interested of course?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal