Author Topic: Achocha seeds to give  (Read 2660 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Achocha seeds to give
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:35:29 »
Hello,
This year I tried growing Achocha (not sure about spelling!), Fat Baby variety, and I found it a fun veg to grow. It makes a fine climbing vine (a bit invasive!) that produces small green fruit with flexible "prickles". I prefer them cooked and add them to stir fries as they taste similar to a green pepper.
Each fruit has LOADS of seeds. So if anyone would like some, please PM me. They are started at the same time as courgettes and need a little protection when small but they are very easy to grow.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Re: Achocha seeds to give
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 13:08:33 »
I can vouch for them being prolific! I have 3 plants going. They have covered one side of the shed (south-facing) and decided that they like the east-facing wall too, so have gone round to investigate and cover that one too.

Really tasty, either as tiny grape-sized juicy things, or bigger for cooking with.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 15:36:27 »
Ooooh, that 's on my wishlist for next year!

I'd love a few seeds if you have some spare. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 22:49:51 »
I'd love some as well. I tried them before, and didn't get a crop - maybe I planted too late - but I'd like to try again.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:20:49 »
Can those wanting some PM me please? I have a new batch just drying. They are now fruiting quite well, i think they need a good warm spell to set lots of fruit. They do go everywhere though, they have mixed in with my runner beans although they are 2 feet away!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 21:03:00 »
For the people wanting seed, they have now dried so I am posting them off tomorrow! I used several different fruit so should be a good selection. They will not cross with anything 'ordinary' ;-)  They seem to still be fruiting prolifically and the vine is showing no signs of dying off yet. They don't have a strong flavour but they are very good added to a stir fry or other vegetable dish.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal