Author Topic: Red currant recipes  (Read 2649 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
Red currant recipes
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:21 »
Please help!  What can I make with red currants (now frozen) apart from jelly?
near Copenhagen, Denmark

alkanet

• Half Acre
Re: Red currant recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:30:05 »
well i'm going to try some ice cream or sorbet, or maybe this Redcurrant & red onion relish

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3113/redcurrant-and-red-onion-relish

redcurrants go with lamb of course

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 17:47:28 »
You can do variations on redcurrant jelly such as redcurrant and marjoram jelly:-

1kg redcurrants, cleaned
300ml water
150ml cider vinegar
50g fresh marjoram, washed and chopped

Put everything in a stainless steel pan and boil gently till the fruit is soft.  Drain through a Jelly bag overnight.    For every 600ml of liquid, add 450g sugar.  Heat in the cleaned pan until teh sugar is dissolved.   Cook until setting point is reached then pour into jars.  When it is nearly cool, push in a sprig of fresh marjoram and seal.

Redcurrant and Cherry jam
1kg redcurrants, cleaned
1kg ripe cherries, stoned
1500g sugar
300ml water

Bring the redcurrants to the boil and simmer gently until they burst and the juices run.  Mash gently then turn into a Jelly bag to drain overnight.

Boil the sugar and water to form a syrup, add the cherries and boil until thick then ass the juice form the currants and boil until setting point is reached.   Put in jars and seal.

Redcurrant marmalade
1kg redcurrants, cleaned
2 large sweet oranges, thinly sliced
225g seedless raisins, washed and chopped
1kg sugar, warmed

Put all the fruit in a preserving pan and warm through.  When it starts to simmer, add the sugar and bring gently to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.   Boil 20 mins till a set is obtained and then pot and seal.

Jane Grigson has a recipe for redcurrant cake in her Fruit book and you could always make Cumberland sauce to serve with pork and patés.
Obxx - Vendée France

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 17:56:28 »
Thanks for the suggestions. The marmalade looks good.  I’m vegetarian - what do you eat with Cumberland sauce?
near Copenhagen, Denmark

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 18:33:23 »
I see that you are in Denmark. Many years ago, while travelling in Denmark, I ate a traditional red fruit soup with a base of redcurrants.
Rødgrød med fløde is a Danish dessert, traditionally made with red currants combined with other red berries and fruits, such as raspberries, cherries, and strawberries.  Served cold, the fruit soup is slightly thickened with cornstarch (or potato starch).  I like mine made primarily with red currants and  some raspberries for their perfume
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 21:58:01 »
I zap mine in the microwave with apple juice and then serve with meat.  We prefer them to cranberries for Christmas.  Particularly nice with turkey, chicken or pork.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:10:01 »
Red currant cordial is delicious! My Norwegian family make it, but I don't have enough berries yet to do both that and jelly.

Whoops, forgot link! Here you go: http://www.swedishfood.com/swedish-drink-recipes/180-redcurrant-cordial

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal