Author Topic: Butternut Squash  (Read 2126 times)

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
  • Growing vegetables in our back garden
Butternut Squash
« on: August 30, 2014, 21:58:58 »
Hello Everybody,

I would like some advice on growing Butternut squash.  We manured the plot in 2012, where we've grown butternut sqaush this year, and the butternut squash have grown very well and we have some whoppers developing.  The only thing that concerns us (my partner and I) is there is a lot of lush foliage with the squash underneath and we wonder whether it would be OK to cut some of the leaves off to expose the squash to the sunlight to help ripen them?

Thanks for your help.

Shamba Sarfi
When a man tries to drown his sorrows he generally makes his head swim!

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Re: Butternut Squash
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 22:33:40 »
I do not profess expertise however I have grown Butternut quash successfully now for 5 years and I always cut off excess foliage this time of year to get more heat to the ripening fruit, where possible I raise fruit from the ground, straw or even a tile whatever comes to hand, it works for me!

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 22:45:13 »
There are PUP viruses when I click RUN to download that garden programme which Malwarebytes removed thankfully.  So much as I would like to download that programme I don't want to get PUP viruses in my computer so I'll decline this time.  PUP virusis are mostly there with free downloads so beware!!

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 22:49:02 »
Thank you Susiebelle for your help.  We will do this.  I will try and get some pictures of the two whoppers we have growing.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 01:12:14 »
I pinch off tiny squash and growing tips to help the plants focus their energy on ripening the bigger squashes. As suggested, sliding a tile or brick or board under the big squashes to raise them I believe helps them and protects them a bit from rot and chewing critters.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 21:33:52 »
last time i grew them i used the foliage to raise them off the floor just push it under the fruit

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 14:32:58 »
My butternuts are growing like mad - but are you supposed to leave them till they turn yellow? At the moment, they are still green, and I think they will be enormous by then!  :tongue3:  :drunken_smilie:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 23:34:33 »
Leave them on the vines till the foliage has died back then cut them with a good length of stem. Before storing wash them in a 10 per cent bleach mix.
I still have a butternut from last year - harvested on 09-09--2013! The foliage on this year's crop is tatty but I'm not in any hurry. They need another week or two to turn colour and mature.

Tricia

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:38 »
I've a bed of butternuts, foliage is still very dense and growing strongly too. Fruit is no where near ripe, I think a bit of trimming is called for and fingers crossed for a sunny September!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:13 »
I find that once they start to turn yellow then they ripen very quickly. Yes I do expose them to the sun and slide a bit of dead grass, or cardboard or a tile under them if possible. They can get very big but more the better I say! They are delicious.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal