Author Topic: Two heart-stopping events in our family  (Read 2814 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Two heart-stopping events in our family
« on: August 30, 2014, 02:31:07 »
Last month we had 2 heart-stopping events: our grandson (16) during heart surgery and a week later our son in law during "routine" knee surgery. Both survived with injected meds/electrical paddles applied. The surgery for both had to be repeated.

Tonight our grandson's sugery was repeated: an 8-hr cardiac surgery w/o anesthesia where an electrical pathway in the heart was zapped with cryosurgery. This was out-patient and he will be sleeping in his own bed tonight! Meanwhile, our son-in-law's surgery was repeated and successful, except he's been unable to sleep for a couple weeks which he was told is not uncommon following surgery (?) and could go on for 3 months.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this stuff. Maybe because I'm thankful it is over and I continue to be amazed how far medicine has come but also how unpredictable some routine procedures can be. Never say "routine surgery" !
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: Two heart-stopping events in our family
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:53:54 »
A blessing that they they have both come through it and are safe and well.  You're quite right medicine has come a long way, a lot of us wouldn't be here if it wasn't for procedures being introduced.  I'm thinking of my pacemaker for one.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:56:37 by Yorkshire Lass »

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:17:20 »
Me thinks your family members are very fortunate GA,quite rightly modern medicine saved my Dad for 10 extra years thanks to
cardiac additions that although they had their pitfalls provided mum with a husband and Kim and I with a Dad.

I wish your fam well  !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:14:37 »
Sorry to read of the complications, a very worrying time for you and your family. But good to read all went well the second time, may I join in wishing your family well.
It is amazing how far they have come with some procedures, totally life changing.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 08:52:21 »
Have only just seen this (a few hectic days here) Would just like to wish your Grandson and Son-in-law a complete recovery after their surgery.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:25:58 »
I have only just seen this GA.
I would like to wish your family members all the very best of health.
How wonderful all this technology is I can vouch for that.
take care now all of you. xx :wave:

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 14:19:15 »
Thank you all. They are on the mend.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 14:45:22 »
I only just noticed this too...

..and GOSH!...what a 'events'...I'm not surprised you felt need to 'get it out' to share. Even it is 'only' written on line, it is still big relief to get one's issues..good or bag...out in the open.
I'm glad they are on the mend now and I hope you are feeling better too...it is very trying to be worried.

X

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 20:45:08 »
Glad that there was a good outcome for both x

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 00:11:25 »
Wishing your family members a speedy recovery.  Your son in law may still be in a lot of pain after his knee surgery and that could be why he isn't sleeping very well.  Maybe he needs some stronger painkillers to see him through the night. 

I have had two knee replacements and it is very painful afterwards, especially having to do the exercises.  Once it has healed though there should be no pain and he can then build up his muscles and be much fitter than he was before surgery. 

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 03:22:07 »
Wishing your family members a speedy recovery.  Your son in law may still be in a lot of pain after his knee surgery and that could be why he isn't sleeping very well.  Maybe he needs some stronger painkillers to see him through the night. 

I have had two knee replacements and it is very painful afterwards, especially having to do the exercises.  Once it has healed though there should be no pain and he can then build up his muscles and be much fitter than he was before surgery.
Thank you Pauline. He is a highschool math teacher and feels he must stand during each class to keep the students' attention so he is not resting it like he should and therefore is making very slow progress he said. But I'm the mother-in-law and must button my lip!!! Our main concern now is that the second heart surgery on our grandson was also not successful. We don't know what the next step will be. But he is back to school also and keeping very busy. We just pray.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 09:45:49 »
Our main concern now is that the second heart surgery on our grandson was also not successful. We don't know what the next step will be. But he is back to school also and keeping very busy. We just pray.

So sorry to hear this.  Hopefully they can do something for him soon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal