Author Topic: digging fork  (Read 10430 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
digging fork
« on: August 29, 2014, 16:26:24 »
hello everyone,
can anyone recommend a decent digging fork for under £25, as have a well known make and it bent whilst digging the spuds up.
many thanks

:wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: digging fork
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 20:29:54 »
My recommendation would be a carbon steel Bulldog brand (Clarington Forge, Wigan).
http://www.claringtonforge.com/forks
This link shows a fork in manufacture. Note that all the fork is formed from a single billet approx 8"x4"x1".
 I have seen the whole process in the old factory that was Elwell Tools, then at  St Pauls Rd. Wednesbury.-alsolutely fascinating.
Whether you will find one for less than £25 is open to research. There is little point in buying stainless steel for if you keep using it it wont have time to rust!. Always buy drop forged digging tools. The cr*p fabricated type are not worth the space. If ever you get the chance while in the South West, visit Finches< foundry at Sticklepath, Okehampton (National Trust) It is the link between the iron age and life today.(Great Devon cream teas as I recall....)
Research: You could do here:
http://bulldoghandtools.co.uk/bulldog-forks/standard-range.html
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 20:45:41 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 22:06:08 »
ive dug over a bramble patch and snapped 4 or 5 spades and then i got a wilkinson they also come with a 10 year guarantee

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 22:11:10 »
I agree with ancellsfarmer that a forged tool is essential.  And indeed Bulldog is a great brand, although I think you'll struggle to find one much under £35.

For ordinary lottie use, we're quite happy with Spear & Jackson Neverbend.  I know that gardening pros turn their noses up a bit at S&J, and the finish isn't always brilliant, but Screwfix have them at fifteen quid http://www.screwfix.com/p/neverbend-digging-fork/26207

If you can run to it, the Neverbend Professional range are better, but probably over £30.

And depending on your soil (and your own strength), it may be worth considering a narrower border fork rather than a full-size digging fork.  You can get a Bulldog standard one within your budget: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulldog-Border-Fork-Brand-New-Quick-Delivery-/271192468157?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item3f2454aabd

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 20:18:27 »
Just had a look at Claringdon Forge.  Potato fork, price listed is $185, yes the price is in dollars???

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 20:53:05 »
I found the draper fork very good but at the end of the day if the ground is that solid it is bending a good strong fork maybe using a mattock is the better method of breaking the soil up first.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 21:00:56 »
I accept your comments regarding the Clarington Forge.com site I referred to it only to show the still photos of the process that creates the quality the OP requires. I agree the W/Sword are of that quality, I believe they originate from the old True Temper plant in Eire. Spear & Jackson came originally from the Elwell works I mentioned, having been Spearwell branded until their demise The brand is now part of the Neill group, not known if UK made.
If you seek quality as these on a budget<consider pre_owned. There are house clearance outlets in most towns <often with used furniture in front. These are the result of "executor sale" clearances and if you can find any of the brands mentioned above< or Tyzack ,Brades, William Mills then subject to the ash shaft not being worm-eaten, you might get one for £5 or so. A bargain.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 18:39:34 »
Keep your eyes open. Old tools are usually good, if the handles are OK. You might fins somethng in a junk shop or a market. I got my fork for a fiver in the local market in 1998, and it's still going strong.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 18:51:21 »
Ta everybody , just bought B and Q own brand for a fiver and have dug half of plot with no signs of bending or cracking Happy days. As we keep getting turned over I thought it best to buy  cheap and easily replaceable . Thanx again WOODY

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 23:14:55 »
My border fork broke tonight.  Shaft went  :sad10:  I've had it for a number of years.  Liked it's small size.

Now using the Big Guns - the digging hoe.  I've got the heavy duty one (which is on the big side for me as I'm very small) have learned to let it do the work and getting on great with it.

Think the new allotment is going to be much easier to dig over (so far it is and it's good soil) than my other one which is very hard clay.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 20:34:04 »
Well if itss an old friend,, why not simplyy fit a new ash shaft. Its only  a 20 minute job

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 02:37:47 »
I use a Canterbury fork, it enables sustained use with great leverage (with no backache).

I use mine on my couch grass and bramble prone plot with great effect and it takes a lot of punishment without complaint or repairs required:

https://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/heavy-duty-canterbury-fork-p126
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 21:37:34 »
I have had one of these Canterbury forks for a couple of years and have never used it until this year although I have been using a Chillington hoe.   The Canterbury fork is a really brilliant tool, quick and easy to use and as DebP said, no backache.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 11:33:42 »
This looks like a good deal for a Canterbury fork (don't forget to go through the A4A link to Amazon)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-High-Quality-Chillington-Canterbury/dp/B00FNNB8QE

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 11:41:38 »

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 11:46:52 »
My apologies - I didn't notice that the Amazon one is complete with handle.

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 12:22:29 »
they are great tools just not for digging potatoes ( high spearing rate)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 16:14:55 »
I find it brilliant for clearing on my heavy clay soil, it levers couch out like nothing else. Ordinary digging and breaking up soil is easy too. All you have to watch out for is soil in your hair as you whack it into the ground from above head height. The times I've been to the shops post allotment and got strange looks because I have earth and couch all over my head !
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 21:14:35 »
Well if itss an old friend,, why not simplyy fit a new ash shaft. Its only  a 20 minute job

It is indeed an old friend and that's what I'm going to do.  As for the broken shaft, there's still a bit of pointy end so it will make a good dibber  :icon_thumleft:

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 21:12:43 »
b and q fork broke today will try home base next  , hope everyone is well  regards W

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal