Author Topic: Very strong tasting Onions.  (Read 1759 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Very strong tasting Onions.
« on: August 28, 2014, 17:40:06 »
I am interested to know what onion you would consider strongest, hottest in taste.

I have grown from seed Alisa Craig, Bedfordshie Champion & boralleta. they are all nice tasty onions but if anyone can suggest a more powerful variety that can be grown from seed I would love to know.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Very strong tasting Onions.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 21:39:23 »
I don't think I could give you a specific variety as our tastes could be quite different.

However what I would say is; the smaller the onion the stronger it is!

I sometimes look upon it this way;

When Mother Nature designed an onion she put a certain amount of flavour into each variety e.g. "a spoonful" and as onions contains a high a high proportion of water it must mean that the bigger the onion the more diluted the flavour will become.

O.k that's a bit of an old wives tale but I do find smaller onions tend to make my eyes water whereas my heaviest onions do not cause that problem.

So there is something to think about!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 22:34:42 »
From my limited experience the strength of onions is not only governed by the variety but also varies vastly depending on the soil they are grown on, fertiliser used and the amount of rainfall in the year!  Drier and richer soil tends to end up with onions which are far "hotter" in taste.

I'm afraid I don't know of a naturally strong variety too.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:01:13 »
From my limited experience the strength of onions is not only governed by the variety but also varies vastly depending on the soil they are grown on, fertiliser used and the amount of rainfall in the year!  Drier and richer soil tends to end up with onions which are far "hotter" in taste.

I'm afraid I don't know of a naturally strong variety too.

Totally agree.

Some years our onions have a very poweful taste (same variety), this year were a disaster and we scrubbed the crop

Also some years some onions give bad wind problems!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal