Author Topic: 50p Seed Sale at the old Wyevales  (Read 4197 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
50p Seed Sale at the old Wyevales
« on: August 26, 2014, 15:26:29 »
Anyone know if they're doing it this year and if so when are they starting?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: 50p Seed Sale at the old Wyevales
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 18:32:51 »
Kind of counting on it I hope, they have done it early September in previous years...
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 21:24:31 »
Was on at Pulborough branch on 8th August 2014
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:44:09 »
An allotment holder asked in one of the stores last week and was told ' we are unable to tell you when but what I can say is that it happens after double points day- which he says is Tuesday, therefore thinks it will be Wednesday- very soon 'Someone going over there today to check it out.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 13:25:39 »
I'll pop in later today and report back....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 17:27:01 »
Just been down to the Findern one in Derby, it's on!
I bought £59.40 worth of seeds for £12.50.
Best thing was all the seeds were still on the racks so easy to browse. I'm guessing it has been going on for more than a day as quite a few spaces on the racks already. I couldn't get the sweetcorn or cucumbers I wanted but otherwise a happy bunny!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 20:05:22 »
Is this just at bricks-and-mortar shops? I do to think there's a Wyevales near me and if I had to travel to Derby the cost of transport would eat up any savings I made!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 20:15:17 »
I'm not sure, they are all franchises now aren't they , so I guess they can suit themselves ? No harm in asking them if/when they intend to do this ?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 20:46:36 »
Seems what goes around, comes around
http://www.retail-week.com/multichannel/online-retail/garden-centre-group-rebrands-back-to-wyevale-to-align-the-brand/5062250.article?blocktitle=Garden-Centre-Group:-Latest-news-and-insight&contentID=10566

I found a 50% discount on my August visit to Pulborough. 50p per packet is amazing if seeds are "indate", although  most will probably grow anyway. My preference would be to use Realseeds for quality and value.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 22:27:45 »
Started today, got a few bargains.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 19:20:33 »
Seems there is a bit of a hole in their coverage around you Silverleaf, we have 10 closer than your nearest.

Interesting to hear they are going back to being Wyevale.  Not sure they should put garden centre our local one is more like a shopping arcade.   

Went into Swindon and found they had a different selection, they are still on the racks so not awful rummaging in the barrels,  It is so difficult to find anything and the packets become damaged.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 20:55:01 »
I'm trying not to be hideously jealous. ;)

I'm consoling myself with the thought that apart from a couple of things I want to try I have enough for next year, but more varieties to add to my new landraces is always good!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 22:02:49 »
From DIY WEEK magazine today:
"Terra Firma in talks to sell Wyevale
Private equity firm Terra Firma Capital Partners is considering selling Wyevale, formerly the Garden Centre Group, just two years after buying the business, it has been reported today.

Terra Firma in talks to sell Wyevale

According to Bloomburg, which broke the story this morning, the UK-based buyout firm, run by Guy Hands, has held talks with potential advisers about a sale or initial public offering of Wyevale, which could value the company at as much £700m ($1.2 billion). Citing its source as 'people close to the matter', the news site said the people had asked not to be identified as they weren't authorised to speak publicly.

Terra Firma bought the company, then The Garden Centre Group, from Lloyds Banking Group Plc in March 2012 for £276m. The Garden Centre Group, which reverted to its original name, Wyevale, last month, operates around 140 sites in the UK and employs more than 5,000 people, according to the company's website.

Terra Firma has reshuffled its management, appointing Kevin Bradshaw, former managing director of Avis UK, as chief executive officer and Stephen Murphy, former chief executive officer of Virgin Group, as chairman.

A spokesperson for Terra Firma declined to comment on Bloomburg's story and the firm has not immediately responded to telephone and email requests from DIY Week for comment, as representatives are currently 'in a meeting'."

Maybe further reductions to watch out for?

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 12:04:12 »
Have pillaged 3 wyevales nearish me - about £38-worth of seeds and I need to hide the seed-overspill tin from OH!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 18:44:43 »
Done my local three and got most of the things that I wanted, but a bit annoyed that there were no all female cukes, and no shallot seed of any kind....  also none of the seed was Unwins GroSure, a brand I've found to be very good in the recent past, to the point where I'll cheerfully have a go at something new if it came from a 50p gro-sure packet..

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 20:51:09 »
Noticed today that the 50p per packet deal is now available on all remaining stocks of Suttons seeds at Squires garden centre at West Clandon ,and probably worth checking any branch local to you.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal