Author Topic: Allotment newbie!  (Read 2016 times)

sarahhoggett

Allotment newbie!
« on: August 22, 2014, 18:16:04 »
Hi everyone, I got my first allotment in April and have so far put in 14 4x7' raised beds. We have had a few little crops this year but nothing major as we seemed to b e too late to sow many things by the time we'd cleared the overgrown jungle that it was! We also have  small greenhouse with cucumbers and tomatoes in it at home.

My first (of many I'm sure) question is, is there anything I can sow right now? or do i need to wait until spring now? I have some kohl rabi, snowball turnips, late peas and beans in and my sweetcorn should be ready to harvest soon :)

Thanks!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Allotment newbie!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 18:48:09 »
Hi and congrats on the plot!
There are things you can so between now and spring - some for a quick crop and some for over-wintering.

You can still get away with some lettuce, radish are quick and mooli are a great late crop.  Then stuff like Mizuna and other leafy orientals should stand well into winter.  Possibly turnips or khol Rabi.  Spring onions will over winter well if sown now and it will soon be time to put in overwintering onion sets, garlic and broad beans.  You might just about get away with spring cabbage.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 20:12:20 »
Welcome to A4A. It might be worth asking others on your plot whether they have a rabbit problem- nothing more disheartening than all your overwintered crops getting eaten by the bunnies! I only grow garlic over winter for this very reason.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 20:13:45 »
Welcome to A4A,  I do hope you enjoy your plot as much as I do mine.

I am a great fan of Red Russian Kale.   I have just planted out some parsley, I use Tesco and divide the pot into four.

It will not be long before the overwinter onions can go in.

I am lucky I have an excellent source of cheap but great quality plants, so I have been planting out cabbages and broccoli seedlings.

Well done for taming a jungle.

It will soon be the right time for planting raspberry canes and strawberry plants - November.  But time flies when you are having fun.

I normally sow some peas under plastic bottle cloches, they produce a small but tasty crop early that way and the plastic keeps the mice etc off.  If you are a lettuce fan you can crop all winter from under plastic bottles.

We have problems with deer nibbling things too so I am a huge fan of plastic bottles.

sarahhoggett

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 18:03:21 »
thank you everyone for your replies! I will have a look to see what seeds of those mentioned I can find and hopefully get some in. I don't think there is a rabbit problem, we seem to have a bit of a fox problem (part of our plot had a vacated fox den on too!) the soil is easy to work but could do with enrichment. Definitely want to grow as much as possible over the winter to make use of the plot, so will look for some onion/garlic sets too. Excited!!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 19:56:22 »
Welcome,
I noticed that the local Garden centre group store (Was "Wyevales) have all their seeds at 50% off"
-end of season"
It might be their end but you can grow something all the year with some protection. I collect redundant windows to make robust tunnel cloches. What I aim for are matching opening casements in wooden frames ,preferably still with hinges attached. These can be "scrounged " from any double glazing comppany and without work are good for six or seven years at least. Would be more if re-painted.Typically 1 pair covers 900mmx900mm . Thats three rows of lettuce of, say,9. You need a pair for each row as ends.All for free, you just need transport. A wire coat hanger (free from dry cleaners!) stapled across 1 end limits spread and prevents collapse..These can also be used as covers for simple wooden cold frames made to fit the windows you can get. I have a constant supply of redundant wooden fireplace crates to give sturdy 1"boards 48,54 or 60" long. If there is a fireplace fitter in your area, just ask ! They would benefit from preservative treatment but last 5years without.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal