Author Topic: FIGS  (Read 2766 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
FIGS
« on: August 22, 2014, 14:18:52 »
HELLO AGAIN FOLKS

Hope you all had a good gardening year so far  doing well on most of my veg plants

But i have a fig tree that is really doing well this year  giving me loads of figs apart from the couple mice seam to get over night !

What i was wondering is apart from eating them  off the tree is there anything you and do with them ???

Thank s in advance  :icon_cheers:
i don't belive death is the end

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: FIGS
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:37 »
You can dry them, or make wine with them! I have an old book that has a recipe for fig and lemon wine which sounds nice...

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 17:23:05 »
Figs make a lovely dark and sticky chutney. I'll look out my recipe if anyone is interested.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 18:25:12 »
My fig tree isn't yet producing, but I buy figs at Lidl (when they are cheap) - to make fig and ginger jam, Yum!! I got used to making this when I lived in Spain where there was a huge fig tree on an abandoned finca near me.

Tricia

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 22:00:18 »
Figs make a lovely dark and sticky chutney. I'll look out my recipe if anyone is interested.

please do
 :icon_cheers:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 19:20:30 »
May i ask about figs? The new plot has a large espalier fig tree which showed no figs in June (when its qwner expected it to have) but now has plenty of acorn sized fruits on branch extremes. Will they swell and be harvestable this autumn or has it just wasted its chance ? Please advise.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 20:14:22 »
If you are in UK, those small figs will not ripen. Ripening in UK is now, and I am trying to protect my big ripe figs against birds. I have lots of tiny figs coming on which after about 20 years experience and reading about it will not ripen in this country.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 21:43:48 »
Fig Chutney

Here is the recipe I use.

1kilo figs
150ml malt vinegar
150 ml cider vinegar
250g chopped onion
250g sultanas
1tsp salt
1tsp allspice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp coriander seeds

Chop figs and put in saucepan. Add the vinegars, onions sultanas salt allspice pepper and coriander seeds.  Bring to boil and simmer gently for 15 mins. Stir to prevent sticking until mixture is thickened.  Put in sterilized jars.

It is my favourite chutney, gooseberry being second.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 14:56:07 »
watch out for mice eating them too

thanks for the recipe   :icon_cheers:

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 22:39:18 »
Hi, I bottle mine, some in a red wine syrup some in a brandy syrup and some in just syrup - Fab on morning muesli right through winter, brings with it happy thoughts of summers to come mmmmm.....................

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 03:59:01 »
Most of my fig trees give two crops in a year. A smaller (in number) delicious crop in the middle of summer, the breba crop on last years wood,  and the majority starting in late summer on new wood. They then produce right though to the first month of winter.
I eat figs several times a day right through the growing season then dry the rest and have them every other day throughout the year.  Last season I picked 4710 (of which 173 were breba crop) and the previous season was 3062.
I also share some with family friends and visitors.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 09:55:18 »
They can be frozen, whole or chopped for later use in pies and cooking. They are lovely roasted whole, with pork, or pan cooked and served with ice cream as dessert. A friend made a lovely fig liqueur by soaking whole figs in white alcohol (any eau de vie is fine) and adding sugar (alas I do not know the proportions. Leave for about 2 months before drinking.
It goes without saying that they make excellent jam.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal