Author Topic: What to do with rubbish garlic  (Read 1690 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
What to do with rubbish garlic
« on: August 21, 2014, 19:53:21 »
I've got loads of small garlic that's been sitting in my shed since I lifted it. Moved it to make room for my onions to dry and I'm wondering whether to just dump it in the bin or try to retrieve something from it- what would you suggest? The bulbs are mostly not more than an inch diameter. :(

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: What to do with rubbish garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 20:13:44 »
Roast them whole, squeeze out the pulp when cool and make your own garlic pate type thing? Shame to waste it.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 21:31:42 »
Thanks, Deb- that worked well- got a surprising amount out of them.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 23:34:10 »
I peel them, blitz them down, fill a bottle and then top up with oil to an inch below full. Place in microwave for 6 min on high and then store in the fridge... lasts all year..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:05:28 »
One way of keeping them for future use is to cook them up in a little olive oil with some optionally some fresh chopped chilli (if you like chilli) then to  freeze  it in thin sheets. Break the sheets up a bit and store in a bag in the freezer, chuck them onto the frying onions when yo're making somethng that needs it.... one pan of chilli ad garlic and one of jsut garlic will do for a lot of dinners down the line...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal