Author Topic: Bee eaters  (Read 3839 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Bee eaters
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:32:58 »
I went and saw the bee eaters that have nested here on the island. There are four fledglings getting their wings, the first breeding pair for twelve years. They are really colourful birds, but somehow I deleted my pictures so I will have to go again.

pumkinlover

Re: Bee eaters
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 18:08:35 »
Ace .
You cannot put up a post like that and then say you deleted the pictures. Forget all those other jobs and get back there !!! :tongue3:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:55:52 »
Here's one to get on with. I pinched it from somebody else. But they are the actual birds.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:26:45 »
Bee eaters are gorgeous! I'd love to see some myself.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:53:35 »
the upside of Global Warming, I suppose, apart from the IoW being under 10 feet of water

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 12:31:00 »
Every year as long as I can remember there have been sightings of strange birds and exotic butterflies and weird insects that land up on the island this year a hoopoe has alledgedly been seen.  A strange bird in my orchard turned out to be  a Supreme Starling, but that might have been an escapee. You have to realise we are a few degrees up on the north island's temperature, somebody even grew some bananas a few years ago when we used to get long dry summers.

Out on the water once when I was fishing we were visited by a tiger shark and all sorts of smaller fish turn up. They must follow the oil tankers and liners going into Southampton.

It could be down to climate change but it was happening a long time before that malarkey come to the fore. As for being 10 foot under water, most of the youngsters have webbed feet and make strange gurgling noises when spoken to.

We shall be touring in the caravan again soon on our annual foray to the frozen wastelands of the north and hope  to spot the artic foxes and polar bears when we are up in the Yorkshire dales.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:38:55 by ACE »

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 15:16:21 »
they're in today's Express

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 15:20:20 »
they're in today's Express

Good job they are not in the mail. Otherwise they will be spreading desease, killing all our sparrows and getting free medical care and benefits.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 15:33:43 »
come over here, eating our bees........

funny colour also

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 11:16:17 »
However there are concerns that following the recent Infrastructure Bill, which gives landowners powers to destroy invasive species, these new birds could be under threat.

All three species would be classed as ‘non native’ under the bill, giving farmers the power to kill them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/11052787/Exotic-European-birds-to-settle-in-UK-as-it-gets-warmer.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal