Author Topic: Petrol Strimmer  (Read 2695 times)

Golach

• Half Acre
Petrol Strimmer
« on: August 20, 2014, 18:57:21 »
Can anyone recommend a good petrol strimmer (not too expensive) please?  I have got a cordless strimmer which is fine for clearing the paths at my allotment but could do with a heavier duty one to hack down the weeds on the new allotment.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Petrol Strimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 20:16:45 »
I am a fan of lidls strimmer though rather frustrating waiting for them to appear.  It is quite heavy and the harness is not very good for the lady gardener.  I have a cordless one as well, but not sure it will knock the skin off a rice pudding.

I do wish lidl would have a system where you can get an email to say when something is going to be on sale.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 20:06:25 »
Well you almost can !
 http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/1281.htm
Have you noticed if the offers are on a fixed rotation?i
.e. the same week of each year?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:56:43 »
After buying several strimmers over the years, I eventually realised that a secondhand Stihl is 10 times better than anything else.  They come up on eBay all the time.  (Obviously don't go for one of the very heavy commercial ones!)

Alternatively, of the other makes, I quite liked a little Ryobi that was on offer at B&Q one time.  Lightweight and handy, and very capable while it lasted.  Refilling the line was a bit of a performance, though.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 15:35:27 »
I quite like my Ryobi, though be warned that the build quality can be a bit variable... keep the receipt adn if it even gives you an issue with starting take it back to the shop and tell them it doesn't work properly... repeat until you get a good one... I'd not bother with the battery start ones, they should start easily enough (though mine doesn't follow the normal technique)./.. the good thing is there are other heads you can get for it (@I've got a line strimmer, a brushcutter and a mini tiller). IOf and when mine goes wrong I'll replace it with a four-stroke Ryobi....

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 00:56:44 »
Thanks everyone.  Doesn't look like I'll need it as we've managed to get most of the grass down using a combination of the little battery strimmer and the scythette (which now needs sharpened).

Was talking to one of the allotment holders along from my new plot.  Very nice Italian lady.  She was saying that the plots at that end have better quality soil than where I've got my original plot.  Her advice was to forget about the original plot - she asked me if I'd planted anything in and had it grown.  Answer to that was yes and, unfortunately, not very well.  She said it was down to the poor soil there but the second plot has good soil under the grass.  She said that plot had been well tended until a couple of years ago when the tenant passed away.  She's also arranging for a load of manure to be delivered to both our plots.

She very kindly gave me a load of spinach to take home with me.  We're having spinach and ricotta ravioli tonight (well, this morning - we do eat at strange times here, son and myself being night owls).  I'm not working at the moment - the company I'd started working for has severe financial problems thanks to a rogue director but on the plus side, means I can spend more time down at the plot.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 20:11:59 »
The ravioli was delicious.  The spinach - the old fashioned kind that turns very dark green, almost black when it's cooked, not pale and sickly looking like the shop bought stuff.

Would like to return a gift but I haven't really got anything growing on the plot that's either good enough, or enough of to give her except Brussels Sprouts and they won't be ready until about Christmas.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal