Author Topic: How are your figs?  (Read 5354 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
How are your figs?
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:28:38 »
I'm picking several figs a day from two Brown Turkey trees at the moment. This is the best year in about 15 years. The trees are massively overgrown because I could not bear to prune them in the spring because the baby figs were so numerous and unusually large in the warm weather.

When the leaves drop, I am going to have to slaughter the branches. Some are already so tall I have to let the birds eat the fruit I can't reach.

The problem is, of course, that I have to leave enough new growth to bear fruit next year......any hints?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: How are your figs?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 16:50:22 »
I have the same problem Artichoke. 

I wonder if one of those telescopic fruit pickers would work?

Here's a couple of pics of my tree and the fruit.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 19:44:07 »
Wow, that IS a big tree, with beautiful fruit. Is it Brown Turkey? My figs are more elongated than yours with a longer stalk end.

A few of my branches/twigs touching the ground are trying to root there, so I am thinking of digging one out in the autumn and planting at my allotment. The trees I have are in a small back yard and have to be kept within bounds.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 19:47:32 »
Test...

Aw. Flippin' eck.

I just don't get it.... :dark1:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 19:53:36 by Nigel B »
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 20:05:17 »
Wow, that IS a big tree, with beautiful fruit. Is it Brown Turkey? My figs are more elongated than yours with a longer stalk end.

A few of my branches/twigs touching the ground are trying to root there, so I am thinking of digging one out in the autumn and planting at my allotment. The trees I have are in a small back yard and have to be kept within bounds.

I don't know what the variety is, only that it isn't Brown Turkey.  An Italian relative
gave it me as a cutting from his own tree, which was given to him.....etc.

We've rooted lots of cuttings in the way you describe, usually putting a brick or something
else heavy on them to keep them in the soil till they root. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 20:45:24 »
I was just going to ask a question about figs.  My fig tree is 11 years old and at the allotment.  Last year we did cut it back as I didn't plant it in a pot and it has got very big.  I have had one fig off it this year, but it is covered with small figs.  Spoke to someone at the allotment today and he said figs have a first and second crop.  He said it was doubtful I would get a second crop, but wait until end of September, and then pick all the figs off and compost them.  Anyone on here got any ideas, and is that correct.  I don't really like figs but can always give them away, if I ever get any.  Confused of Enfield.  Not sure what fig tree I have, as it was a birthday present 10 years ago, doesn't time fly when one has a lovely allotment. :sunny: :sunny:

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 22:20:23 »
I don't have a clue about how to look after a fig tree. The only time I
prune mine is when a branch dies.  I never remove the small figs.
I don't protect it in winter.  It is planted into the ground with no
restriction of the roots. I never feed it, although I do mulch heavily
with straw.

Despite this, (or maybe because of it,)..........

it is impossible to count the number of figs on it now, many ready
to pick and loads more almost ready.

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 22:23:42 »
That's exactly right, in this country. Tiny embryonic figs usually described as the size of a pea last through the winter and start to grow in the spring, developing into ripe fruit about now. Meanwhile a second crop starts to grow but never ripen before the autumn and winter are upon them, and we are supposed to remove them because they never will ripen and are said to be a strain on the tree.

The little pea sized figs that last the winter are generally found on the tips of new wood, so a drastic pruning removes them, and you don't get a crop the following summer. This is what I am anxious to avoid. When the leaves drop, I will saw off about 1/3rd of the heavy branches, trim back others, and hope that I can leave enough low down twiggy bits to develop fruit for next summer. Unless someone can suggest anything more subtle.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 00:18:57 »
I bought a 2year old fig tree last year in the Spring. It is planted in a very large tub against a south facing wall and has grown about 50cm on each of its three branches but there is no sign of any incipient figs. It gets fed with tomato feed every week or so when I'm feeding everything else. When can I expect it to start fruiting?

Tricia

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 00:25:30 »
I didn't know you could grow fig trees from cuttings. I'd like a fig, I'll have to hunt one down.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 04:24:54 »
Hi all
Just found this site and realised I can help with the fig pruning question.
I am from the southern hemisphere so at the moment surviving on my last years dried crop of over 4000 fruit. The majority of fruit came from 3 trees which are Brown Turks. I have 4 other younger trees too.
As some have said if you prune too harshly then you will lose some or a lot of your next crop.
Some varieties have two crops while others only have a late summer to autumn crop.
The first crop which shows in mid summer is called a breba crop and forms during late winter on last years wood.
The later season crop forms on new wood after the spring break occurs with new leaves.
Therefore it is important to work out what type of tree you have, why you want to prune and how much crop you can afford to lose any one year.
I try to keep my trees at head to arm length height which aids in harvest and covering for protection from pests such as fruit fly (prevalent here) and birds or possums. Also I don't like to have to climb up. I always prune so as to get the maximum harvest because my fruit trees (all 37 varieties) are my fruit diet year in year out.
Firstly take out dead wood, then any branches too long. If you haven't pruned for some time then only prune 1/3 or 1/2 the tree each year so as to reinvigorate it and reduce its height moving onto a new section the following year or two later.
Then shape it to your desired shape to fit into the surrounds.
Remember to save a good quantity of last seasons wood for your breba crop but encourage new growth which will give new fruiting sites.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 07:34:26 »
I didn't know you could grow fig trees from cuttings. I'd like a fig, I'll have to hunt one down.
Will have a  look!!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:58:44 »
Welcome to the forum Jimc  :wave:
Wow, 4000 fruits, fantastic.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 11:44:35 »
Thanks for that nice clear advice. I am impressed you manage to keep your figs quite so small and yet very productive....4000!

"my fruit trees (all 37 varieties) are my fruit diet year in year out" Assuming these are all sorts of different fruits (not just figs), is fruit the bulk of your diet or are you omniverous but enjoy a lot of fruit? Not being nosy I hope, just interested.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 13:07:13 »
Just been reading about outdoor UK figs and everything says they need a south-facing wall. Now my only south-facing wall is based with concrete and constantly shaded by the orchard trees and the garage, which doesn't sound like a good place at all.

Would a fig be okay against a south-facing fence, do you think? How do you wall-less allotment people grow them? I really like figs so I'd love to grow one.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 13:17:27 »
Just been reading about outdoor UK figs and everything says they need a south-facing wall. Now my only south-facing wall is based with concrete and constantly shaded by the orchard trees and the garage, which doesn't sound like a good place at all.

Would a fig be okay against a south-facing fence, do you think? How do you wall-less allotment people grow them? I really like figs so I'd love to grow one.

Mine is just planted in the ground at the allotment, with no root restriction.
However, it is a MASSIVE tree now!

It is full of fruit, I picked 10 large figs today.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 14:09:02 »

Mine is just planted in the ground at the allotment, with no root restriction.
However, it is a MASSIVE tree now!

It is full of fruit, I picked 10 large figs today.

That sounds good, I don't mind if mine gets a bit big as long as I get fruit! I guess it might be restricted a bit by my horrible clay.

I definitely prefer leaving plants to their own devices if I can get away without too much fussy pruning. I'm lazy. ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 15:40:09 »
Last years pruning seems to make sense, probably why I only got one fig, but did ask OH to do some pruning, and he certainly did that.  :BangHead:  Also the redcurrants and blackcurrants that had a good prune and did not do well this year, the raspberries seemed to like being cut down.  I will decide what to do with the fig in September, maybe I will just leave it alone this year as I don't really fancy picking off about 100/200 small figs.  I expect I will get lots of advice from my allotment friends, the Cypriot/Greek ones seem to know their figs.  Hope that isn't a racist remark, they are lovely. Thanks for the advice anyway, I think I understand better now.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 06:06:56 »
Thank you for the welcome Jayb and artichoke and others too.
Due to health reasons I grow all my own fruit and vegies so have as much variety as possible. Have a look at my web site. http://path.earthgarden.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=7&thread_id=1579&pid=101931#post_101931
One day I ate 15 different types of fruit, all from my garden but some preserved for out of season.
But then there are some I can't eat such as citrus and the pome (apple) family.
Virtually all cuttings of fig can be struck just by putting them into a container of seed raising mix with a little extra sand added. The most successful are the suckers which shoot up from beside the main trunk or trunks if  you have a multi-stem plant.
As far as the small figs left on the tree at the end of the season I just leave them there and they fall in due time or else you could pick them and add them to the mulch around your tree.
If trees are allowed to grow rampant then they can take up another's space, use extra nutrients and water and produce excess fruit only to be fed to birds, fall to the ground inviting vermin  or go to waste.

pumkinlover

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 07:49:56 »
Been having fig on my porridge every morning but given it a miss today. Sometimes you can have too many figs ................. :glasses9:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:55:13 by pumpkinlover »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal