Author Topic: Pickled Gherkins  (Read 2665 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Pickled Gherkins
« on: August 17, 2014, 21:55:18 »

A few Gherks are appearing in our NEW garden..... :tongue3:

Nothing to do with me,I just opened the link provided and found the recipe.......and followed it  !!!!!!!

http://www.thebigworld.co.uk/how_to_make_pickled_gherkins.htm

so pleased with these bad boys,I planted 5 from seed and begger me if they didn't all take well and at the mo are
growing by the cartful.

I just put my Kilner jars in boiling water for 10 mins and once drained dried them out in the oven on 100 degrees for 10 mins.

In a large pan, combine two litres of water, 4 oz of salt, and 1 and a half litres white vinegar (5%). Bring the mixture to a boil until all the salt is dissolved.

In each sterilized jar place: one large sprig of dill weed, 1 medium jalapeņo pepper (sliced length-way), 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorn and if you like a couple of baby onions as they will pickle with the cucumbers and add a new flavour.

Wash the cumbers in cold water and fill your jars with cucumbers and a few baby onions. (Previously washed in cold water) and Pour the hot vinegar mixture into the glass jars to within 1 inch of top.

anyway,thats a couple of jars done.

Gazza

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 22:05:05 by gazza1960 »

fitzsie

• Acre
Re: Pickled Gherkins
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 14:53:57 »
My cucumbers have done really well, bought the seeds from Lidl Have  been pickling them using the same recipe but minus the chillies and garlic. My Dad can't stop eating them !!

Bring back Spotty Dog........

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 16:09:52 »
Mine have gone mental this year and I have picked dozens of them.  Similar recipe but I salt the gherkins, and add whole spices to the vinegar while heating it - peppercorns, coriander seed, cumin, cloves and a couple of cardoman pods -then add Dill, garlic, chilies and some bay leaves to the jars.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 21:47:51 »
In that case, Fitzsie and Nick, you've both created your own recipes!
Be proud of them if they work for you.
All pickle/chutney recipes are a variation on a theme, and if you make a change to the original, in method or ingredient it's "yours".
For example, about 4 years ago, I was down my local and a fellow drinker was complaining that he couldn't buy any decent Piccalilli.
I spent quite a lot of time looking at loads of different recipes, and checked out the feed-back on the forums.
Taking the basic skeleton, which is virtually the same in all Piccalilli recipes, I worked out my own recipe. If most people on one forum said that particular recipe was too sweet or salty, or needed more mustard, then I would take those ideas into account.
As a result, I've got a product that sells faster than I can produce it!!

For me, half the fun of cooking is taking the basic skeleton and then moulding your body onto it.

That makes it your creation!! 
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:54:53 »
This is very useful because my gherkin patch has gone mental too. I have made a big plastic box of fridge pickle, chopped masses into some "glutney" bubbling away at the moment (not in the recipe, but first tastings are rather promising already) and am just off to pick some more.

Last picking, they were all giants after a period away, but this time I hope for something I can pickle whole, like you.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 18:34:46 »
Taking the basic skeleton, which is virtually the same in all Piccalilli recipes, I worked out my own recipe. If most people on one forum said that particular recipe was too sweet or salty, or needed more mustard, then I would take those ideas into account.
As a result, I've got a product that sells faster than I can produce it!!

Piccalilli ,have I missed that recipe?  I love piccalilli and would certainly love to try yours, or is it a trade secret ? !!
Bring back Spotty Dog........

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 08:03:23 »
I got this version from the internet having bought a jar once from a charity stall. It is not as hot as piccalilli but I like it! The remarks are not mine.

Military Pickle (and remarks)

1 marrow, fair sized (zucchini or other long squash)
1 lb (500g) cauliflower florets, left so you can appreciate that it's cauliflower
1 lb (500g) French beans (haricots? green beans? both?)
7 chile peppers (presumably fresh, green or ripe)
1 oz (30g) ginger, chopped fine or minced
1 1/4 C flour (the Brit-ism has it 1 breakfast cup, 1.2 C/284ml) -- scanted
1 cucumber
1 lb (500g) onions
1 lb (500g) sugar
2 quarts/up to 2.5L vinegar (conversion seems in error here, perhaps a maximum amount is intended to be given )
1 oz (30g) turmeric powder

salt to draw -- almost like brining
Chef knife, saucepan, jars/lids

Cut vegetables small, cover with the salt, leave for 12 hours then drain. Put veggies into saucepan, add vinegar, boil 6 min. Mix powdered ingredients to a smooth paste (in a little vinegar, I suppose) and add to veggies while they boil. Boil or simmer all together for 30 min at least, stirring frequently to prevent any burning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal