Author Topic: Geeky or what..?  (Read 3928 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Geeky or what..?
« on: August 16, 2014, 14:20:58 »
I have quite low 'veg growing mojo' going on at the moment...BUT..for some reason I have found my long lost love for other sort of plants again.. :drunken_smilie:
LOOOOOOK at my 'babies'.. :drunken_smilie: :toothy10:
I've had several species Aspidistras for few years now...and now one of them decided to flower!! ..FINALLY!...so I'm going to play 'pollen fairy' and see if I can get it to set seeds.. :toothy10:
And something else is setting seeds...Pittosporum...never tried my luck with these seeds neither..
AND...my orchid has several keiki's...MORE BABIES...and new plants!!! :toothy10:

AND...been shopping today and bought MORE plants!!...couple of hibiscus plants and mandevilla..I just must try my luck with them again. Used to have several hibiscus plants for yeeeears..but then bugs found them..
Mandevilla is something I'm going to trial as houseplant..it might do for while or it might not...all good fun! :glasses9:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Geeky or what..?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 14:50:49 »
Fascinating seeing the Aspidistra flowers  :toothy10: well done you. My poor plant is thoroughly neglected but still carries on.

Pittosporum seed, brilliant, do you think they will grow true or will you have new varieties?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 17:31:54 »
Congratulations on your keikis!  :blob7:

I love orchids and have 9 in flower on my kitchen table at the moment, and
another 4 which have finished flowering. 

I suppose it is a bit Geeky having a kitchen table which we can no longer
use as a kitchen table.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 18:19:56 »
Fascinating seeing the Aspidistra flowers  :toothy10: well done you. My poor plant is thoroughly neglected but still carries on.

Pittosporum seed, brilliant, do you think they will grow true or will you have new varieties?

Mine were neglected too and they were thoroughly unhappy indoors....and then I decided to give them bit of fresh air...last spring they all got 'thrown' outside and left to look after themselves..and now they are starting to look happy again  :icon_cheers:
They are not quite hardy enough to be outside through winter, but I'm going to have to think hard where to put them as they are not really indoor plants as such.
Pittosporum; no idea what comes out of the seeds...if anything....but as I only have this one shrub in garden, there is no pollen partners to give 'influence'..I don't have any idea if their seeds carry different 'parentage genes' or not  :drunken_smilie:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 18:28:28 »
Congratulations on your keikis!  :blob7:

I love orchids and have 9 in flower on my kitchen table at the moment, and
another 4 which have finished flowering. 

I suppose it is a bit Geeky having a kitchen table which we can no longer
use as a kitchen table.
Ah..I could say that most of my house is not quite used as it is supposed to/designated...hobbies are taking over...living room is truly for living.. :happy7:
I've always liked orchids a lot..but our house is not quite orchid 'friendly' as such...but, I'm experimenting with different 'locations' through out the house and I think I might just have figured one place that is suitable for some.. :icon_cheers: SO..to test this 'new location'...I bought ANOTHER orchid in plant clearance sale from local shop... :toothy10: :icon_cheers: Nothing unusual..just a 'moth one'..but it was alive, had few flowers still on, it was cheap and it came with PURPLE plant pot too.. :icon_cheers:
Btw...if you have Ikea nearby...they sell various kind of orchids for quite reasonable price... :glasses9: :angel11:

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 08:48:14 »
Aspidistras are such lovely elegant plants  . i have the original plain green one growing outside in the ground in my fern garden ..it is quite toughand has survived some quite cold and wet winters  I also have the gorgeous vaiegated one in my porch  .
You dont see them for sale anymore   . ...and that elusive and strange flower .....I was told once ,that they are pollinated by snails and slugs .  :coffee2:
 Time for a revival of indoor plants ...good luck and have fun with your new babies Goodlife !   :wave: Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:05:08 »
I have quite low 'veg growing mojo' going on at the moment...BUT..for some reason I have found my long lost love for other sort of plants again.. :drunken_smilie:
LOOOOOOK at my 'babies'.. :drunken_smilie: :toothy10:
I've had several species Aspidistras for few years now...and now one of them decided to flower!! ..FINALLY!...so I'm going to play 'pollen fairy' and see if I can get it to set seeds.. :toothy10:
And something else is setting seeds...Pittosporum...never tried my luck with these seeds neither..
AND...my orchid has several keiki's...MORE BABIES...and new plants!!! :toothy10:

AND...been shopping today and bought MORE plants!!...couple of hibiscus plants and mandevilla..I just must try my luck with them again. Used to have several hibiscus plants for yeeeears..but then bugs found them..
Mandevilla is something I'm going to trial as houseplant..it might do for while or it might not...all good fun! :glasses9:

Ok...I have little development to report... :toothy10: This morning I was wondering around garden with cuppa in my hand...and my eyes spotted few odd looking 'weed' seedlings on top of planter. I have bad habit to use this large rose planter as my 'trial' ground for different seeds I gather on my 'travels'..half of the time I don't have noooo idea if anything should come out of my sowings and yet, I keep getting new plants, some that I didn't know/remember even sowing there :drunken_smilie:
Back to those 'odd weed seedlings'....it is some of the Pittosporum seeds from my bush that flowered last year that has yielded...!!! :icon_cheers:
 No fancy seed composts..no particular technique..just took the pod with seeds in from the bush..broke the seeds apart and scattered on the surface of the planter and left the rest for the nature :icon_cheers: How exciting...! :happy7:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:16:54 by goodlife »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:24 »
How nice, the seedlings have popped up.  Congratulations goodlife  :sunny: 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:13:53 »
Oh..and as for the rest of the plants from my original post...
Aspidistra flowers didn't 'do' anything even though I did play pollen godmother with cotton bud, but I suspect the wet weather at the time didn't help neither as the flowers did get filled up with rain water. All the plants are outside again and I'm waiting with interest if they would flower again this summer.
Plenty of new orchids...though very slow to make much development, but they are alive....
One of the 'new' hibiscus got hit by spider mites..as usual and other one I managed to cure from those horrid pests...
Mandevilla is alive and flowering nicely...spidermites did get interested of that too...but are under control and the plant is not moved its summer residence outdoors and the pesky mites are not happy about it...

No more indoor plant shopping this year...I indulged myself enough and struggle with spare space as it is...though I was gifted with Peace Lily...it was to be homeless so of course I had to give it a home..just little TLC needed with bigger pot and some fresh compost and it will make splendid addition for my greenery :angel11:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal